why can't i launch a smartreporter tryout on mac

Reaction score
have a macbook pro 13 inch mid-2012
so i d like to test the well-being of HDD by running SmartReporter as my hdd is making a series of clicky "needle scratching gently on the surface of a metal" sounds intermittently
therefore i thought i d test it once in a while, i know i could get it for 5$ but i wanna get a tryout first though after downloading, it wont launch, telling me that it os not authorised by apple store, but thats where i got it from
???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can see a disks SMART status in Disk Utility

But if you want to get it to launch, go to  menu > System preferences > Security & Privacy and allow applications

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If your drive is making "clicky" noises, better to buy a replacement drive sooner than later.

OP
M
Reaction score
If your drive is making "clicky" noises, better to buy a replacement drive sooner than later.

the thing is i took my mac to the tech service for another issue (creaky hinge) and they fixed it by replacing the display with a new one, so when i asked whether it was normal to have clicky sounds like these the technician said it was the hdd rolling or something like that, so i wanna make sure it functions properly by installing smart reporter which i already did so i didnt detect anything out of the ordinary so far, though its a tryout, will get a legit one later.
read online that several people had the similar issue, thats sad when u actually pay loads of money and encounter problems like these

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hard drives are mechanical and die sooner or later as all mechanical things do. A hard drive clicking is a bad sign. I've seen them die the day they start clicking, I've had friends tell me theirs had been clicking for a year or more before they died. I wouldn't spend a penny on some app to test a clicking hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.