Ipad to Time Capsule

Reaction score
To everybody out there Merry Christmas and hope all of you have an excellent New Years Eve.
I have a 2Tbyte TC as my home wifi and hard drive network. Save all my files and have all mycomputers backed up there. It is amazing to me that I have been able to access the TC with Toshibas-Sonys-Ibms-but in no way I have been able to connect with another apple product. Meaning by it: Ipad and Ipod. I just purchased a Mac Book Pro and everybody has told me that it will connect no problem.
What keeps surprising me is not having an answer at the Apple Stores on how to make the Ipad and Ipod work with the TC and Worst Apple Support wants me to pay for the service to have this question posted.
From reading in the web I read an answer that best way to do it is downloading the app filebrowser and that it works perfect with it. My point and question is to understand how come apple does not work with apple and if it does how is it done?.
THANKS

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You would make a backup of your iOS device through iTunes. It will then be saved on your Mac. From there you would back up your Mac and your iOS data would be backed up too.

Or just make a backup of it through iCloud. Which you can do on your iOS device.

OP
M
Reaction score
CrimsonRequiem thanks for your advice but I am more trying to find a way to have my Ipad or Ipod looking directly into my TC. Not thrum other devices or thrum Icloud. It is frustrating to have three apple devices and they do not talk between each other. The TC is a harddrive where I have store pictures and music from my none apple devices; I am trying to look at them from my Ipad or Ipod and cannot look at them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As stated your iDevices are backed up in iTunes and I would use Time Machine to back up your Mac which will back it all up and you can use photo sharing so all devices can see your photos.
The only other backup solution is iCloud.

M

MacInWin

I don't think the OP is talking about backup. I think what is wanted is direct file access to the drive, and from this: "The TC is a harddrive where I have store pictures and music from my none apple devices; I am trying to look at them from my Ipad or Ipod and cannot look at them" that the OP is trying to see pictures and play music on his iPad and iPod directly from the drive without iTunes or any other software. I don't think that can be done.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't think the OP is talking about backup. I think what is wanted is direct file access to the drive, and from this: "The TC is a harddrive where I have store pictures and music from my none apple devices; I am trying to look at them from my Ipad or Ipod and cannot look at them" that the OP is trying to see pictures and play music on his iPad and iPod directly from the drive without iTunes or any other software. I don't think that can be done.

Maybe try File browser.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I use FileBrowser all the time. It is an excellent APP, and IMO well worth the money.

Also use it to access my NAS from my iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.