Time machine can't find the disk

Reaction score
Hi,
Time Machine on my computer has suddenly stopped being able to find my backup disk. The exact message is "Time Machine could not complete the backup. The backup disk is unavailable." I use a "passport" to backup, it's just a little external box with a lot of memory. I have tried to go to select disk but it is not even there. Every so often I also get a message saying the disk I inserted is unreadable, but it's just that I know that it is readable because this is the same thing I've always used to backup my computer and I've never had any problems until today. I tried to do a search but I didn't see any problems that were quite close enough to be helpful. Does anyone know how to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It sounds like your Passport has died if you can't "see" it at all. If a hard drive won't mount (appear on the desktop) it's usually because it has failed. Hard drives fail without warning all the time. May be time to buy a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If you connect the drive, can you see it in Disk Utility ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes I can see it in disk utility, but the buttons like repair disk or verify disk are not available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Have you selected the volume label of the external disk or the 1st line, which will indicate the manufacturer and size of the physical disk.
You need to be be on the volume name of the disk ( the 2nd line )
Whatever you do in Disk Utility, make sure you select the right disk so you don't destroy your Internal disk with the OS on it .

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
In your applications find the WD Smartware app and Mount it, this seems to be an issue with WD and time machine, I have the same issue, and need to do this regularly. Your backups will be intact,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.