Recover homefolder

Reaction score
I lost my home folder after having renamed it (Yes, stupid, I know in the meantime). After logging in again the system had created a new home folder with the same name as the one I just changed. Is there anyway to recover the original home folder with all its content? I use OS1.8.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read and follow directions from the X Lab instructions: LINK

And some advice: Make backups. Time Machine is free and external hard drives are inexpensive. ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you chscag. I read this article before but had come to the conclusion that it refers to a pre OS 10.8 solution. Also the article which the page refers to ("Mac OS X 10.3 or later: Return to Default Desktop, Apparent 'Loss' of Home Directory.") seems not to apply. I will reread again though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The procedure would be the same in all versions of OSX, so chscag's link applies

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you. I read the article again and it seems that I need to follow the steps in the linked articlle: "Mac OS X 10.3 or later: Return to Default Desktop, Apparent 'Loss' of Home Directory." Clicking that link brings me to the general Apple support home page. Entering the title of the article in the search field does not bring up anything meaningful. What am I doing wrong?. Also, does the solution indeed require me to first make my user library visible? Sorry for my ignorance.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for providing the right link. It does not solve my problem though. I am unable to locate the "old" home directory inside my "new" home directory.

OP
R
Reaction score
I was pointed by somebody else to terminal mode. This allowed me to access my Aperture Library and copy it to another computer (computer B). When doing this I also discovered my old home folder which is located in a folder called /.Trash/. My thought now is to copy all the content of my old home folder to the computer B, copy it back again to the computer with the home folder problems (computer A) and replace the contents of the home folder of computer A with the contents of the home folder copied from computer B (I.e. my lost home folder). This seems a solution but also very risky.I therefore would like to solicit advice before I proceed. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.