Imac to macbook pro back up.

Reaction score
Hi, I've just registered after experiencing problems backing up my wifes Imac to my macbook pro. I am running OS X 10.7.5 on both machines. I created a new user account in my wifes name, then using migration assistant and a firewire cable I copied across all the information. So I thought!! My hardrive is now full on the macbook pro but no sign of my wifes files anywhere.
The Imac goes back to apple tomorrow for a hard drive replacement and now i'm stuck.
I have made a back up using time machine but this also will not let me transfer to the macbook pro as the hard drive is now full, well almost, 4 gb left.

I have searched on this forum and see others have experienced similar problems and have found the files in the home folder. I have searched there and also have tried spotlight and all my files on both user accounts.

After years of tearing my hair out on Microsoft based machines this is the last thing I expected from Apple!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi and welcome.

I think that you are supposed to set up a new user account during the set up process and not before.

Go into Finder and find your Users folder and see if there is another account with the files inside in there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.