Can someone teach me how to use Winebottler?

Reaction score
I'm new to Mac and there are a lot of Windows applications I would like to use. I have the .exe files but I need someone to teach me how to use it. I've tried using the thing to convert the Windows program to a Mac app. It creates the app and when I try to open it it quits immediately. Can you give me a tutorial?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I haven't used WineBottler in some time, but it can be a little confusing. Here's a link (below) to a bunch of tutorials. Be aware that not everything will run properly under WINE though. Also be aware that you are not actually converting a Windows program into a Mac app, although for all intents and purposes it looks like you have if all goes well. Are there any particular apps you are having problems with?

https://startpage.com/do/metasearch.pl?language=english&query=winebottler tutorial

EDIT: A quick way to see if your Windows program can run under WINE is to check the compatibility list for Crossover. Crossover is a commercial program that uses WINE to accomplish the same thing you are trying to do. If a program is known to not work under Crossover, then forget getting it to work under WineBottler.
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your help! So what can I do? Should I install Linux? Can it run Windows programs. How would I install Linux?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Linux can not run Windows programs. Linux runs Linux programs. Did you check the WineBottler tutorial that was suggested to you? I run WineBottler for several old Windows programs (games) that I have but each required a rather complex manual install.

Unless you're real familiar with how Windows programs install and where everything is supposed to go, WineBottler and every other version of WINE is difficult to setup. That's why Crossover was suggested since it automates the process but unfortunately it's not free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
You could always buy a copy of WIndows and Parallels. Install Parallels, Windows and then install your .exe files all you want. If you can't figure out how to install and run programs with Winebottles on Mac OSX, I doubt you will have much luck with Linux. Like lifeisabeach mentions above, check the Codeweavers site to check compatability and go from there.

Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.