MacMini Dock/Menu Have Disappeared

Reaction score
This is not a new computer, but it is new to us.
Model Number: A1347 (From bottom of computer)
Invoice description: Mac Mini 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 320GB, SuperDrive, Airport, HDMI, GeForce 320M
Originally purchased 2 years ago.

I allowed someone else to use my account on our Mac Mini and now my menu bar has disappeared, as has the dock. As well, the zoom function does not work, in or out. The only thing I can pull up on screen is a collection of three apps, consisting of the calculator, calendar and weather, using one of the top buttons on the keyboard which shows a circle that looks like a dial. The view seems to be zoomed way in, but when I move the pointer to the edge of screen, in any direction, the desktop does not re-center itself as it does when logged on to our other accounts on the same computer, so I cannot access the menu bar, or the dock. I would appreciate any suggestions as my account is useless at this point.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
He has likely lowered the resolution and if you're connected to a TV possibly turned on/off overscan.

Try booting into Safemode and see if that will reset your resolution for you.

Press the power button
Immediately press and hold down the 'shift' key.
You can release it after you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Let if finish booting into safemode - it will take longer than you're use to.
Then try re-booting.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you bobtomay. You have restored both digital and family harmony.

C

chas_m

Let that be a lesson to you -- NEVER EVER let someone else use YOUR account. This is exactly why OS X allows for guest accounts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.