Switching from MacBook Pro to Mac Mini

Reaction score
I treated my fiancée to a Mac Mini for Christmas. While the lady was visiting with friends, I copied all the files from her Windows 7 PC to an external drive (thank you, Linux!), put her PC in the closet, installed the Mac Mini, imported her personal files (music, pictures, school work, etc.), and left it on the desk. 11pm rolled around. She came home. "What did you do with my computer?"

"It's behind the monitor."

"No, it's not! It's gone. What did you do with it? And what's with the screensaver? ....Oh. Wait, that's a computer? It looks like the little white box that you keep by the TV."

Twenty minutes later, she was playing World of Warcraft. (No, I don't get it, either.)

Anyway, because the keyboard of my MacBook Pro is on its way out, she decided to treat me to a Mac Mini of my very own. The MBP is from mid-2010 and has a 256GB SATA disk drive. I am not sure how to proceed. For my schoolwork, my iPad is ideal. In the past year, I've needed to take my laptop away from my desk perhaps a dozen times. Mostly, I'm quite content to use the iPad, so this laptop is almost redundant from a portability standpoint. The keyboard will be repaired under the 3-year AppleCare warranty, which runs out in a month or so. After getting the kbd fixed, I'll be considering the following:-

1. Sell the MBP as-is.
2. Switch its solid-state drive with the Mac Mini's hard drive; sell the MBP.
3. Sell the MBP; buy a solid-state drive for the Mac Mini; install it; put the Mac Mini's 'old' hard drive in a 2.5" USB enclosure; use it for data backup.
4. Do nothing. :) Hey, MBP is awesome & so is Mac Mini, even with a 'noisy' hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would opt out at #4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
How about that dozen times you had to take your Macbook Pro from your desk? I would opt for #4 also.

Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.