Screen Brightness? , Del Key?

Reaction score
Hi:
I am new to Macs and I got this MacBook Pro (OS ver, 10,7,5),a few months ago, but I have a couple of questions:

1- Lately my screen keeps lighting up and then in a little while gets dim again?
I do not touch anything,(like the F1 & F2 keys which control brightness) it is like a very slow breathing, heh... :Confused:

the Brightness gets intense then dims maybe 4 or 5 times per minute (sometimes it speeds up like when I stop typing, and it gets dimmer when I am typing) ?!
Is this a sign that a process or something is going on in the background? or is there a problem with this laptop?
(It is plugged into the wall and the green light on the plug is on))

2- I cannot find a regular Delete Key on this Mac? There is a (rather) large "delete" key on the top right of this keyboard but that is a BackSpace key and does not work like the Del key. I have to use the cursor keys then use del. to correct errors.

In fact I have the same problem using my iPhone (having no cursor keys there really gets on my nerves texting, lol)
Is there a delete key on this laptop?
Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for a long post...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Macs have an auto-adjust feature that adjusts the brightness on the display based off of the ambient light in the room. In your case though, it might be gone awry lol

Turn off auto brightness and see if that fixes it. Auto brightness is found in -SystemPreferences-Displays.

If you hold the fn key while hitting delete on Macs, it will function the same as the Windows delete key.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). See the following Apple KB article to learn how: LINK

Reaction score
The ambient light sensor is next to the iSight camera (to the left of it). If you have for some reason covered the camera or otherwise obscured the area around the camera, the sensor will try to adjust thinking it's in a dark room.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Adric, (chscag and S.SubZero) for quick n good reply(ies).:)
I did not know about the sensor and other things. It makes sense now cuz the light is behind me and I guess it was my own big head casting shadows on this sensor heh :D
Thanks a lot again cuz I am new to Mac (tho I have been doing PCs for many years) heh but this is sweet. I love to learn new things!
I appreciate your attitudes too.

Sometimes the worst problems seem to have the simplest solutions!
Regards;

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.