itunes library won't import

Reaction score
transferring itunes library to new macbook pro

I have just bought my first macbook after using windows 7. I backed up itunes library to external hardrive and transferred to the itunes folder in my music folder on the mac. When I try to import it in using the option key when opening itunes, it comes up choose library, but when I choose the itunes library (.xml file, is this right?') nothing imports.
The files in the itunes folder include -
ituneslibrary.itl
ituneslibrary.xml
itunesmusiclibrary.xml
and another folder previous itunes libraries which contains this file
ituneslibrary 2012-12-27.itl
It's a large library 106gb. Checked the hardrive which is 500gb and now only 250gb is free, so there's something in there but why isn't it showing?
There's an itunes media folder in there but that's empty, is this right?
I think I might be best starting from scratch and importing again. Can I just delete the whole of the itunes folder on the mac and back up and import again?
Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Firstly you cannot use a library file from another machine, especially a Windows PC since it will be referring to files on the C drive - which means nothing to a unix based OS

You said you copied your tunes into the iTunes music folder, that's where you space has gone but the files being in there will not automatically appear in iTunes.

I would say your best bet is to start again (remove the music you copied over), but this time network the mac and PC to your router via ethernet and use Windows migration assistant

About Windows Migration Assistant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Having those files in the iTunes folder shouldbe enough. Just open iTunes no need to hold option as you've copied everything to the default library location

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Louishen - are you sure about the library file not being platform independent?

I transferred my library, albeit a while back now, from Windows to Mac in the same way but don't recall doing anything more than the OP has

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If there is any difference in the file path then it will not work, eg inm my library the string is

<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Users/Shared/Media/iTunes/2%20Many%20Dj's/As%20Heard%20On%20Radio%20Soulwax%20Part%202/08%20No%20Fun%20vs.%20Push%20It.mp3</string>

I dont know what that string looks like for iTunes on a PC - I guess you could use a text editor to correct the file paths, but that's probably more work than using Migration Assistant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You could give this a try . About Windows Migration Assistant
You will still have to authorize your computer in iTunes since your account was started on the PC.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, I attemted the migration assistant but that was going to take days! So deleted the original import and imported again and it worked. Obviously did something wrong first time but sorted now.
Thanks for all your advice

Thanks for your help guys, I deleted the original import and sent it across via ext harddrive again and it worked, thankfully!
Not sure what I did first time but obviously something not quite right.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Glad you got it sorted and reported back.

(Multiple threads merged - duplicate posts deleted - please do not crosspost (post same question in multiple forums - thanks.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.