Full storage with "others"?

Reaction score
Hello. I hope you can help me.
My storage hard disk of my Macbook Pro (320 GB) is filled with about 119 GB of "other" things, and I've no idea what they are.
8313232614_c9282d3680_b.jpg

The thing is I've got a big Aperture library (65 GB it says). Nevertheless, as you can see, the thing in storage says 4GB for pictures, thing that's clearly wrong. I believe the "others" could be the pictures, still, it's not enough to reach 119 GB. What's the rest? I've cleaned my computer thousands of times (MacKeeper), I've deleted a lot of stuff and still, there's that thing bugging me...

Any help? My version of Aperture is 3.4.3. I heard some people had some trouble with Aperture and storage so I updated it just today (previous 3.0 version).

I'm sort of a newbie but I believe you smart people can help me.

THANKS!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Before you delete anything else I would get a better handle on what files might be included in "other". Check out this blog post by forum member Stretch. It includes links to some software that should help identify the types of files included in "other".

If you are using Time Machine there are some situations where it stores backup files on the MacBook's internal hard drive. Thant can be part of what is included in "other". This Apple article does a pretty good job of describing when that occurs.

C

chas_m

The problem is also likely due to "MacKeeper," which is closer to malware than a utility. Remove it POST-HASTE, following the uninstall instructions from the developer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.