Time Machine and Seagate External HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
I been trying to come up with a simple way to back-up my photo's from iPhoto, Contacts, Calendar and my Documents folder. I can find and easily back-up my documents folder but the others have proven to be harder. I have a 1TB Seagate external harddrive I thought about using with Time Machine but it not formatted in HFS+ with journaling enabled.
Can I or should I format it so I can use Time Machine or should I use another method. I don't necessarily need a 100% back all the time. To me a 90% of the mentioned files would be good... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Up-date... I found a how too on YouTube... Seems very simple...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would reformat the Seagate to HFS Journaled and use it for Time Machine or a cloning program. Time Machine is easy to use and it's already included with your Mac. You can also use Carbon Copy Cloner but it's not free.

OP
zyepod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would reformat the Seagate to HFS Journaled and use it for Time Machine or a cloning program. Time Machine is easy to use and it's already included with your Mac. You can also use Carbon Copy Cloner but it's not free.

I did... I partitioned it into 2 500Gigs and dedicated 1 to the Time Machine. I do have one question. If I were to swap to another mac of equal or greater machine would I be able to hook the time machine to it to retrieve my files?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, Time Machine can be used in conjunction with the Migration Assistant. I've done that several times when switching Macs.

OP
zyepod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Time Machine can be used in conjunction with the Migration Assistant. I've done that several times when switching Macs.

Just looked up the Migration Assistant and it looks about as simple as you can get... I appreciate your help...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.