safari on windows

Reaction score
I was deleting various items from Safari and I deleted the "menu" figuring there would be an easy way to get it back.

Big Mistake!

How do I get Menu back in Safari?
Can even tell what version I am running now.

All the Safari questions when I searched pertained to Mac. I'm not on a Mac (sadly...)

Help!

Thanks,
Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure exactly what it is you did, however, if you right click on the top space where the menu items were, you'll see "Hide Toolbar" and "Customize Toolbar". If you accidentally hid the toolbar (all menu items) just remove the checkmark next to the words "Hide Toolbar" and it will reappear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would like to know what you were deleting from Safari ?
Can yopu let us know what Version of Windows you are using please . . . . .

OP
C
Reaction score
I have tried that. I just tried again. When I right click on that top space, all I get is "Restore", "minimize", "close:". I have right clicked all over the place. I uninstalled and reinstalled Safari. When I reinstalled it, the program is exactly the same!

I see in Macs you can access prefs outside of the program. I don't see any way to do that in Safari on Windows. I'm close to giving up and going back to Firefox. I prefer Safari, but this is really getting tedious.

OP
C
Reaction score
I was deleting toolbars and the bookmark bar. I think I wanted to see an image full screen (it was very late!) I thought I could do what was just suggested here, right-click on the top and check and uncheck toolbar visibility.

I'm running Windows 7.
Thanks so much for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Safari is actually awful in Windows. Slow and not near as elegant as the Mac version. I strongly suggest downloading and installing either Chrome for Windows or Firefox. Both will run circles around Safari Windows. Even gasp! IE is better.

OP
C
Reaction score
I used Firefox for many, many years. I prefer Safari on this machine. Its fairly new, running Windows 7. Of all the browsers I've tried, its the fastest.

There are some features on Firefox I miss-especially being able to dump cookies on closing. But FF was hogging memory and causing numerous messages to appear and interupt me.

I despise IE. I cannot imagine it being better than anything... let alone Safari!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You might like Chrome then. It's light, quick and cross platform.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't really matter in Windows.... IE is always running and can't be removed, at least in the US version. As I mentioned above, try Chrome if you can't get Safari to cooperate.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yep. Can't remove IE from Windows. Sigh...so many reasons I prefer a Mac! Oh well.

I decided to try Firefox again. So far, so good. I tried Chrome, also Opera. Didn'tlike them. We'll see how FF works out again. Like I said, I used it for years. Maybe they fixed the memory problem.

Many thanks to you all! what a great resource you have here!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.