Chrome defaulting to Yahoo search

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post, and I hope it's in the right place.

This is a problem which I have been trying to solve for the past 5 hours, to no avail. Google Chrome keeps changing the default browser to Yahoo instead of Google. Basically, every time I reopen Chrome or search via the address bar it goes to Yahoo. I have been into 'extensions' and deleted all browsers except for Google, made sure the default browser is set to Google etc, all to no avail. It is driving me bonkers!

A quick search revealed that this seems to be quite a common problem, but none of the solutions mentioned have worked. The same problem also seems to have infected Safari and Firefox.

The only extra info I can give is that I seem to have acquired e-bay and an Amazon extensions in the last day, and although I have disabled/deleted them the problem persists. They have also appeared in Safari and Firefox.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, and now I'm at a loss. I am hoping that some kind soul knows the solution to this.

Thanks in advance of any help you can give.

Paul.

PS. I have searched for malware but found none.
Mac OSX10.7.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I take it you have set googple as the search option in Chrome preferences

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you have any Yahoo software installed? It's possible that it is resetting the preferences for you (software can be pernicious like that sometimes).

OP
P
Reaction score
Do you have any Yahoo software installed? It's possible that it is resetting the preferences for you (software can be pernicious like that sometimes).

No. As far as I'm aware it's a malware problem, but I'm unable to locate anything using Sophos and ClamXav.

Reaction score
No. As far as I'm aware it's a malware problem, but I'm unable to locate anything using Sophos and ClamXav.

Did you figure out what caused this? Just today all my browsers (Chrome and Safari and FireFox) all default to Yahoo as the search provider.

I'm worried that its malware.

Reaction score
Did you figure out what caused this? Just today all my browsers (Chrome and Safari and FireFox) all default to Yahoo as the search provider.

I'm worried that its malware.

Figured it out...uTorrent hijacks the browser's search. Bunch of chumps. Now I have to figure out what else they installed and if my entire system is compromised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Usual culprits are snap.do, chrome delta and Yahoo. Give Sophos a miss and stick with ClamXAV as two AV software programs can interfere with each other. nBit of an overkill as there are no Mac OS X viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Well I hope there is nothing.. I haven't checked with Safari, and haven't used chrome since this started. I changed firefox's default apge to google and all is well since..

Good luck, altho my feeling is that it has to do with a program silently installing or I didn't see the check mark asking to install default searches to yahoo as I recall one extension asking..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.