Mac Networking

Reaction score
I am new to the Mac system and we are wanting to set up our new iMac as a server so we can access files from iPads and iPhones as well as back them up. We re not really looking to do anything terribly fancy or complicated. When I was on Apple's site, I was reading the reviews for the software to set up a the network and most seemed negative. The commentators seem to be folks that are running them for web servers and for companies. Does anyone have experience with Apples network software for home usage? Would love some objective thoughts.

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Your iPad /iPhone should be able to back up wirelessly to your Mac and if you are using Time Machine that will be backed up to an external drive and then there is the cloud if you choose to offsite backup.
There are easy ways to share files that are free up to a certain amount of storage DropBox is one and another popular Evernote both of these allow easy platforms for iDevices and Mac's to share files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.