File Organization ?

Reaction score
Hi All,

New Mac user, done with MS.. But miss some features, like the ability to set up a file system housing a large number of photos, a variety of files I use, etc. The Finder system scrambles them up as I move them in, and can't seem to figure out how to re organize them into a usable system.

There is probably a way to do it, just not able to figure it out yet. Thinking of one of the file manager apps, but really want to immerse myself in the Mac system. Any ideas how to proceed? And can you enlarge the text in finder somehow? Fonts are way to small here...

Thanks in advance! And Merry Christmas to all!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Perhaps a real example of things are getting scrambled would help guide you in the right direction..I haven't found that Finder or OS X moves my files around to places that I didn't intend to put them into..

File organization, like your house, tends to be a fairly personal thing with different flavors and varieties..

C

chas_m

A simple primer:

If you look at the root level of your hard drive, you will see a folder called "Users." Inside that will be one with the icon of a house, and presumably your name on it. That's your Home folder.

Everything you create or download -- everything except apps themselves -- goes there.

There's already a folder for Documents, one for Movies, one for Photos and so forth. You can place additional folders inside those folders, or create new categories of folder for things you don't feel are covered by the main ones.

Don't delete what's there. Place subfolders or new folders where you need them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Also, once you place things in one of those folders, get familiar with Show View Options, which you'll find in the View menu.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys.. Messing around re organizing making folders and subfolders, etc. I am starting to see how it works.

Any way to increase the size of the finder window and fonts? Need a magnifying glass to read things on this awesome 27" Thunderbolt.

Merry Christmas to all!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The Finder system scrambles them up as I move them in, and can't seem to figure out how to re organize them into a usable system.
I think you're confusing Finder with some Mac applications. Some applications like iPhoto and iTunes will reorganize folders and files for you but Finder itself is just a file manager.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, iPhoto is a whole other frustration so far.. But I'll figure it out or come back and ask for help. I am getting on top of the finder now, re organizing stuff so I can work with it. Not so bad now I see the logic to it.. Just different. Lifetime pc guy, so gotta learn the new language!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Any way to increase the size of the finder window and fonts? Need a magnifying glass to read things on this awesome 27" Thunderbolt.

In short. No

M

MacInWin

In short. No
Actually, it's Yes. Open Finder, now select View and Show View Options from the top bar. Set the font size you want. The max appears to be 16.

EDIT: You do have to repeat this in each Finder window, but at least it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Actually, it's Yes. Open Finder, now select View and Show View Options from the top bar. Set the font size you want. The max appears to be 16.

Interesting that when I increase the font size, the icons shift. They do not appear to get larger, and in fact the icon size in SVO stays the same. The grid spacing slider (in Icon view) does not move, but the icons definitely do.

M

MacInWin

The icons shift because the font is larger, and needs more room. If you want the icons larger, just above where you picked the font size is a chooser for icon size. Only small and large are available. I don't use the icon view, I use the list view, so the icons don't make any difference to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.