Desktop shortcuts on multiple desktops

Reaction score
I have taken to using a number of different desktops to stop clutter, I wanted to know whether there was a way of having different shortcuts on each desktop?

C

chas_m

Multiple desktops will not help you "stop clutter." They will empower you to spread the clutter around. What you really need is the discipline to take things OFF THE DESKTOP. Period, full stop, end of story.

This is what your Dock is for. This is what subfolders are for. This is what organization is for.

To answer your question, yes you can assign shortcuts to different desktops. But really, two or three folders in the Dock (Applications, Home and Downloads) is likely to be all you actually need to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
On the other hand, I use Dock Icons and Desktop Icons in order to balance out my desire for more things that I can actually see. The more I put into the Dock, the smaller the icons get. My Desktop Icons are set at 48x48, and my Dock Icons appear to be slightly smaller. But I only have 1 column of Desktop Icons down the left side, and the right side is for the Drives, and items I only want quick access to on a temporary basis.

C

chas_m

On the other hand, I use Dock Icons and Desktop Icons in order to balance out my desire for more things that I can actually see. The more I put into the Dock, the smaller the icons get. My Desktop Icons are set at 48x48, and my Dock Icons appear to be slightly smaller. But I only have 1 column of Desktop Icons down the left side, and the right side is for the Drives, and items I only want quick access to on a temporary basis.

You can use aliases for this purpose: make them as large as you want, have as many as you want, but you're not storing the actual items on the desktop. As has been stated 1000 times on this site, putting stuff on the desktop slows the computer and uses more resources than not doing so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You can use aliases for this purpose: make them as large as you want, have as many as you want, but you're not storing the actual items on the desktop. As has been stated 1000 times on this site, putting stuff on the desktop slows the computer and uses more resources than not doing so.

Yes, I use aliases. I guess I figured that would be assumed. I have 3 additional gray hairs on my head that I would not have otherwise had due to increased waiting times because of icons on my Desktop. But, that's since my first Mac, purchased in 1994. Not a bad trade off for the convenience.

I've seen Windows users with dozens of icons on the Desktop. I don't know if their rate of graying is greater than mine or not.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've seen Windows users with dozens of icons on the Desktop. I don't know if their rate of graying is greater than mine or not.

Yes, at least I think it has to be. Every time I sit down at a Win machine where the user keeps a load of stuff on the desktop, I'm either pulling the rest of my hair out or have enough time to go take a smoke break while waiting for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.