Cannot install windows programs using wine

Reaction score
I have recently switched over from windows to mac, and need to install some windows programs on my mac. Looking around, I found that the wine application is a good way to do this without having to set up a virtual win operating system.

I have installed Xcode, Macports, and Wine. Now I want to install some windows programs via wine, but I get the same error message every time:

Code:
$ wine /Users/[username]/Desktop/[newprogram]/Windows/Setup/Install.exe
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
fixme:win:DisableProcessWindowsGhosting : stub

So I tried to research and fix the problem, and came up with thisHow to use Wine - SpeedofMac.com:

When running winecfg or using Wine some other way, you might come up with some of the following errors:

- err:x11drv:process_attach failed to load libX11.6.dylib: dlopen(libX11.6.dylib, 266): image not found
- Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
- Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

Luckily, there's an easy fix:

Open your .profile file (run open ~/.profile in Terminal)
Enter the following into your .profile file:

DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11/lib
export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH

Save and close .profile
Restart Terminal.app
That's it!

I tried it but it didn't help; I still get the same error. What can I do to fix the problem?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

For starters, you should visit the AppDB of Wine to see if the applications you want to run are supported and known to be working. Second, what version of OS X are you doing all of this on?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried it but it didn't help; I still get the same error. What can I do to fix the problem?

In addition to what "Raz0rEdge" advised you, make sure you have the latest version of X Server loaded and that it's running when you attempt to load a program. If you're running Lion or Mountain Lion, you need to download and install XQuartz 2.7.4 (xorg-server 1.13.0)

Also, instead of using the straight version of WINE you might want to give WINE Bottler a try instead. Much easier to use and install programs. LINK

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you both for your suggestions. I am running the latest version of OSX, I think it is 10.8.2.

> make sure you have the latest version of X Server loaded

I just installed XCode-- is that the X Server? If so, then it should be the latest version.

> ...and that it's running when you attempt to load a program.

How can I tell if it is running when I attempt to load a program?

>If you're running Lion or Mountain Lion, you need to download and install XQuartz 2.7.4 (xorg-server 1.13.0)

I think XQuartz installs with Xcode, doesn't it? Anyhow, I had already downloaded XQuartz 2.7.4 although not installed it. If you think I should, I'll go ahead and install it. Just didn't want to disrupt something if a version of it is already installed.

The app I want to run should work fine in wine, as many of my friends run the same app in wine via Ubuntu. So I guess it should run in wine/OSX if it runs in wine/Ubuntu.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think XQuartz installs with Xcode, doesn't it? Anyhow, I had already downloaded XQuartz 2.7.4 although not installed it. If you think I should, I'll go ahead and install it. Just didn't want to disrupt something if a version of it is already installed.

It won't hurt to install it even if you already have the latest. When I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion on my 2011 iMac, every program that I had previously installed with WINE quit working. After installing the newer version everything returned to normal. I'm not sure if that's your problem but it can't hurt to try.

OP
S
Reaction score
It won't hurt to install it even if you already have the latest. When I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion on my 2011 iMac, every program that I had previously installed with WINE quit working. After installing the newer version everything returned to normal. I'm not sure if that's your problem but it can't hurt to try.

Ok sure, I'll try and see what happens.

Also, how can I tell if X Server is running? (Is Xcode the same as X server? If so, it has the gui so I can easily check the version of it.)

OP
S
Reaction score
It worked! Once I installed the latest Quartz, wine started working. The install command worked beautifully, and the program is working perfectly.

One question I do have: at the end of the install it asked me if I wanted it to put icons for the program on the desktop. I said yes, but it did not do so. And neither wine nor the application is listed in the applications folder. So where do I find the program when I want to run it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The windows installer asked you if you want an icon on the windows desktop

You are not running Windows so the installer cannot create an icon on a non existent directory

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.