Upgrade worth it?

Reaction score
I purchased my Mac in 2007. OS X version 10.5.8 2.4ghz, 1GB 20 inch screen. What are my options? Is it worth upgrading to a newer system with this machine? I would have to have someone do it as I am not computer friendly. I use my computer for fun. It is slowing down. After spending 1200 on this 5 years ago is it finished? My wife has a mac book 13.3 same thing. i would like to buy her a new mac for her desk though. New computers or new crate motor for my 72 nova?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What are my options?

Your upgrade options are:

- Upgrade the ram.
- Upgrade the hard drive (if you need more storage).
- Upgrade to a newer OS version.

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would get a new one and sell the old one then you should be set for another five years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have a Mini that I bought in late 2007 and am running 10.5.8 as well. I'm not ready to upgrade just yet. I thought about upgrading the OS, but discovered some problems with that for Mountain Lion, so I'm standing pat. The OS does everything I need it to, but the internet is a little slower now on "modern" web sites. Speed is not a big deal for me, but you have to decide for yourself if it's worth the 2 or 3 grand for a boost.

Reaction score
I highly suggest that you upgrade the RAM.

Also, how much free space is on your hard drive?

OP
K
Reaction score
I would get a new one and sell the old one then you should be set for another five years.

So what is a used MAC worth and if it were sold what would it be good for? What are we talking $$$ wise for me to have my present computer upgraded to one that will serve me for another few years. It was suggested I add ram. A ram to me is a sheep with horns. I can remove your vehicles engine in the dark and put it back together but computers?.....

Reaction score
Ram to me is a sheep with horns. I can remove your vehicles engine in the dark and put it back together but computers?

Believe me, I'm the same way lol It's really not that bad as long as you take your time and keep the screws labeled and separated. Go on iFixit and find the repair guide for your Mac. On there, you will find a step by step guide on how to add RAM with a parts list and everything.

EDIT: You have an iMac right? I just looked and it's extremely easy to change the RAM on those machines. My four year old could probably do it with some guidance lol

OWC and Crucial are great sites to buy RAM from.

OP
K
Reaction score
Believe me, I'm the same way lol It's really not that bad as long as you take your time and keep the screws labeled and separated. Go on iFixit and find the repair guide for your Mac. On there, you will find a step by step guide on how to add RAM with a parts list and everything.

EDIT: You have an iMac right? I just looked and it's extremely easy to change the RAM on those machines. My four year old could probably do it with some guidance lol

OWC and Crucial are great sites to buy RAM from.

Yes I have an Imac. Adding ram will do what for my machine? Also is upgrading to a newer operating system as hard as some sites make it out to be? Is it similar to downloading and then just clicking it on and walking away? Also how many rams do I need and what happens to the information on the old ram,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Upgrade the entire machine. After 5 years, I'd say you got your money's worth out of it. If you're not tech savvy as you say, it would be infinitely easier to do than trying to upgrade RAM, the hard drive or the operating system (especially if you're still running 10.5.8). If you have an Apple Store near you, you can always have then transfer your data to a new machine as well for free.

Upgrading the components within at this point is only delaying the inevitable need to replace the machine. Take the money you would have spent on upgrades and buy something far more modern and powerful.

M

MacInWin

I purchased my Mac in 2007. OS X version 10.5.8 2.4ghz, 1GB 20 inch screen. What are my options? Is it worth upgrading to a newer system with this machine? I would have to have someone do it as I am not computer friendly. I use my computer for fun. It is slowing down. After spending 1200 on this 5 years ago is it finished? My wife has a mac book 13.3 same thing. i would like to buy her a new mac for her desk though. New computers or new crate motor for my 72 nova?
I'll take a slightly contrarian view to what J.Fo said. You said you use it for "fun" and that it was "slowing down." What does that mean? If all you do is read email and surf the net, then what you have may very well be enough and all you have to do is figure out what is happening to make it slow down. What symptoms do you have to know it's slowing down? Have you done any routine maintenance on the system (using Onyx, for example) or have you just been running along since 2007? Much like your cars, computers need to have the oil changed and fluids checked periodically.

Reaction score
Yes I have an Imac. Adding ram will do what for my machine? Also is upgrading to a newer operating system as hard as some sites make it out to be? Is it similar to downloading and then just clicking it on and walking away? Also how many rams do I need and what happens to the information on the old ram,

More RAM should speed things up. I think you'd even notice just 1GB more but you can go up to 4GB if you'd like.

You can also upgrade to a newer OS. Snow Leopard can be had for $20.

Also, check how much free space you have on your hard drive. At least 20% free space is optimal.

In all honesty, if you just use your Mac for fun as you stated, I wouldn't suggest buying a new machine.

C

chas_m

If you could give us a little bit detailed a rundown on the programs and activities you use on your iMac, we could advise you better. Thanks for giving us the initial stats, though, that was super helpful.

As this is a six year old Mac now, I wouldn't throw a LOT of money into it, but a little may well be worth it and help you keep using it for a while yet.

Depending on what you use it for, it might be worth your while to move on to an iPad. I know a lot of people who have given up "computers" in the traditional sense and just gone with an iPad for their light-duty needs.

Let us know the kind of things you do with your current machine, and we can make better and further suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.