• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel Mac benchmarks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Here is an iMac Duo Core review with Benchmarking from ARS.

While the CoreDuo iMac scores well, it doesn't score much better (if at all) against the iMac G5 and the Dual G5 systems. The ARS review is a lot more thorough than the above.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
baggss said:
Here is an iMac Duo Core review with Benchmarking from ARS.

While the CoreDuo iMac scores well, it doesn't score much better (if at all) against the iMac G5 and the Dual G5 systems. The ARS review is a lot more thorough than the above.

Thanks for the link, I feel totally vindicated now that we have some real figures to deal with, as I've said for nigh on two years the G5 is a far superior processor to the Intel offerings as shown by the fact that a twin core 65nm Intel can only improve on a single 90nm G5 at the same clock speed by around 20-30%, oh how I wish we could have the twin core 65nm G5s to look forward to!

It is a real pity that IBM chose to go with Microsoft and told Apple to sling their hook.

I'll be saving up for a quad PowerMac mid summer.

Amen-Moses

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I read the ARS Benchmarks then did my own using as many of the apps they used as I have with my 2.1Ghz iMac G5 with iSight, 1.5GB RAM. Mine was a lot faster in every bench than their older iMac g5 and very close to the Core Duo in all the tests I could come up with and better in a few. I don't feel the least upset with my purchase. The Core Duo is not that much faster than my machine and in a few cases slower. They really should at least have had 1GB Ram in the Core Duo though to make it fair.

For a person buying today though, the Core Duo would be the way to go as it's as good or better than the newest iMac G5 and the same price and also it's where all future Macs will be going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
On the up-side, they were never going to get a G5 into a laptop. We get G5 speeds with the Intel in a laptop with less power consumption.

With that said, the Intel chip didn't do much for the iMac. Hopefully, as software begins to appear written for the Intel we will begin to see real improvements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GLJones said:
On the up-side, they were never going to get a G5 into a laptop. We get G5 speeds with the Intel in a laptop with less power consumption.

There is a dual core G5 going to market with lower power consumption than the duo, there are dual core G4s already on the market with far lower power consumption than the duo, the switch had nothing to do with processor availability and everything to do with cost. IBM was entering into a long term relationship with Microsoft and already had a relationship with Sony and Nintendo, their manufacturing capability would be at full capacity with those customers in addition to the high end market that they already service, Apple was small fry in comparison so they had to go look elsewhere for their processors.

The only reason I can think of that they went with Intel was that Intel offered them a good deal on price as Intel needed another partner in their war with AMD (which at present they are losing).

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Amen-Moses said:
There is a dual core G5 going to market with lower power consumption than the duo, there are dual core G4s already on the market with far lower power consumption than the duo,

Do you have any reliable sources for this information?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
Do you have any reliable sources for this information?

Only trade news.

Dual G5 (minus altivec) comes from a new startup - 25W, dual G4 available from Motorola - 15W.

(duo - 28W btw)

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.