Mac Won't Read Video From Camcorder

Reaction score
Hello,

My New MacBook Pro will NOT read any videos from my SDXC 64GB card via my Panasonic HDC TM41 camcorder.

It will show a Quick Time icon but it will say Private; click it and it says words like cannot display, access, or read. I also have movies saved to an external drive—all made via same camcorder and it does the same—will not read it.

Plug in my iPhone or iPad and it reads them just fine. One reason to switching to Mac was to use Final Cut Pro, which I have but it even it does not read any video files.

Please help.

Thank you…

Mr DJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
I am not sure what you mean with ”Plug in my iPhone or iPad and it reads them just fine” , but according to the camera manual it states the following

There are 2 recording formats that can be used with this unit: AVCHD that records
high-definition motion pictures, and iFrame that records motion pictures suitable for
playback and editing on Mac (iMovie’11). To change the recording format, change
the Recording Mode.

About the compatibility of the recorded motion pictures

When motion picture is recorded in AVCHD format

Only motion pictures recorded with the recording format set to AVCHD are supported
by AVCHD compatible equipment. Images cannot be played with equipment that does
not support AVCHD (ordinary DVD recorders). Confirm that your equipment supports
AVCHD by referring to the operating instructions.

It is not always possible to play back motion pictures recorded with the recording
format set to AVCHD on AVCHD compatible equipment. In such a case, play back on
this unit instead.

When motion picture is recorded in iFrame format

You can play back on a Mac (iMovie’11).
It is not compatible with motion picture recorded in AVCHD format

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/HDCSD80-MUL.PDF (page 33)

I would therefore assume that you recorded in AVCHD format (whereas you should convert these files to a compatible format for Mac).

Would this be helpful?

OP
M
Reaction score
Buc,

U R a semi-life saver :) I changed the camera mode to iFrame and recorded a 20 sec vide and it played on my Mac just as you said--500 thanks. Now to fully save my life, can you tell me how (if possible) to change previous video to iFrame. I'm working on a serious project and I no longer wish to complete it on my sorry PC.

As for my iPhone/iPad comment; my Mac and Final Cut Pro read the videos on them as soon as I connected them to my Mac.

Thank you, Sir...

Mr DJ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.