Burning DVD

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to burn a dvd with my Macbook Pro Mountain Lion OS. Do step-by-step instructions already exist in this forum? I have searched for instructions on the internet and have d/l'd the dvd onto my mac, but I can't view it. The d/l looks to be a bunch of folders and it's separated from an audio file. All of that to say, I have gotten very far in burning this dvd. Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm going to assume you mean a video DVD (meant to be player on a set-top DVD player). For that purpose, Apple used to bundle iDVD with new Macs, but has since discontinued the product. So, if you have a newer Mac, chances are you don't have it.

That said, there is a freeware program called simply "Burn", which you can download here.

If you'd like a more robust solution, I'd also recommend Roxio's Toast, though it is not inexpensive.

OP
Bheki
Reaction score
Dear cwa107, Thanks so much for this info. No wonder I'm frustrated. I assumed that I had a program built in to my new MAC. And I was attempting to burn a copy of a Video DVD I currently own. I'm going to d/l the program you suggested and thanks for providing the link. Much appreciated.

C

chas_m

Be aware that if the DVD you are planning to copy is a commercial DVD, it:

a. is illegal in the US and we can't discuss that further.
b. has copy protection and won't let you copy it anyway.

Reaction score
burn did the trick for authoring a dvd and burning a data dvd i needed! thanks

macbook rules

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.