• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Getting a Little to Predictable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Well, I think its safe to say that pretty much every new device or upgrade apple comes out with was already predicted. For example iPad Mini, Retina display iMac, iPhone larger screen , etc. I think its time for apple to surprise everyone with something extravagant because I cant recall an apple product that has come out recently that hasn't been predicted to come out. I think its time for its next big hit or something that will really wow people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Which tech industry is not predictable? It is only predictable for Apple because the general public, as well as the media, knows which features are bound to come due to previous implementations, and obvious adaptations throughout a line. As for as designs, that's not known unless leaked info gets out.

I was actually checking up some stocks, and was reading on how the analysts were blaming Apple's stock shares on their product predictability. They obviously completely overlooked the fact that these analysts play up these stocks for profit, and now blame the company when their tricks no longer work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm thinking that Apple has become more predictable…but not for the reason some may think. I think that Apple has become more predictable…because since the passing away of Steve Jobs…Apple has become less secretive.

Most folks that know Apple's "personality" (while Steve Jobs was in charge)…is that Apple was VERY VERY secretive…and if Steve found out someone was leaking information…they were either symbolically "sent to Siberia" or fired!

I think that since Steve Job's passing…Apple has become less secretive & employees are leaking more information. So the predictability of Apple's new/newer technologies is much easier…if Apple folks are leaking information.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Six months before Apple announced the original iPod one of my friends and I were working on a project to develop a portable hard drive you could connect to your computer to upload songs and then plug into your car's stereo. If we had started that project 18 months earlier we could have sold it to Apple.

The moral of the story: Apple isn't becoming predictable, just more transparent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5ghz OSX 10.10; Black MacBook (late 2006) OSX 10.6.8
Retina display iMac,

Do you mean the Retina MBP? 'Cause the new iMac isn't retina. The reworked design of the new iMac, while fairly pointless IMHO, seemed to surprise a lot of people, though I may have just not been paying very much attention before that event.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Sorry my mistake I meant the MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's not just Apple, it's whole tech industry.

I really haven't seen any major new tech products in the last 2 or so years that have "wowed" me like the original iPod did. I do find that there are smaller tech products that are having that effect simply based on their everyday usability and handiness.

For example: WiFi modules to control your house lighting from your iPhone/device; WiFi lightbulbs that can be dimmed and color changes from your iPhone/device; WiFi/Bluetooth heart monitors for those with health problems; BT radar detector that attach wirelessly to to your iPhone and shares data with other users on speed traps etc. Some interesting stuff, but none of it from Apple or any of the big tech companies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is all about sales and the amount of money invested in technology. As a shareholder I think they are doing well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.