new mini mac

Reaction score
Hi I m new to Mac so finding things is difficult I recently installed more RAM on my new Mini Mac late 2012 up to the 8 G which I was told would make it faster ? But it seems like nothing has changed . the system says its 8 G I also notice that sometimes when I want to close out a app it pauses which seems weird to me I did use a ESD mat when changing the RAM very simple to do any info would be helpful
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Installing 8gig of ram into a computer does not always mean extra speed. Installing more ram in a computer that NEEDS more ram (due to a users computing habits)…will help speed things up.

But…if a person's computing needs only require 2gig or 4gig of ram…then installing 8gig, 16gig, 32gig or more ram will have next to no effect…other than a thinner wallet!;)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
mini mac

I was only following the sales clerks advice Im not sure what all app's I plan on running do you suggest returning it to the factory RAM ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was only following the sales clerks advice…

Well…it wouldn't be the first time that a sales clerk tried to sell a customer something they may not have needed…this sometimes is kind of part of their job!;)

Im not sure what all app's I plan on running do you suggest returning it to the factory RAM ?

Assuming that the 8gig ram upgrade didn't cost too much…it doesn't really hurt to have it…you never know…it may come handy in the future as your needs change. 8gig of ram is a "nice" amount to have these days.

In my earlier response…I was simply replying to your statement (in your 1st post) that with 8gig of ram you didn't notice a speed increase. And I was simply saying that adding more ram does not always equal more speed (it really depends on what a user does with their computer).

These days…4gig of ram is probably adequate for most users…but like I mentioned…8gig is a nice amount to have as well.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.