Need some help before purchasing

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm going to upgrade my old iMac and need some advices.
I'm currently working with a 3 years old iMac Dual core 3.1G and 8GB ram ( I added 4GB).

Recently I upgrade my camera from Nikon D700 to Nikon D800 and the files are huge, 40MB RAW files.
The workstation is very old and slow and I get all the time the spinning curser.
I decide to upgrade to the new iMac 27" and I will order it with the 3GB fushion drive and 16GB RAM.

I have some questions regarding the other updates:
1. Do I really need the i7 cpu instead of the i5 ?
2. Is it necessary to upgrade the graphic card from GTX 675MX 1GB to GTX 680MX 2 GB?

I forgot to mention I'm usually working with Lightroom 4 and Photoshop 6 with huge files.

Thank you very much,
Offer

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The workstation is very old and slow and I get all the time the spinning curser.

The "spinning cursor" is not aways because the computer is "old & slow"…sometimes it's other things. Before you invest in a new 27" iMac…read some of the links in my signature & try some of the things mentioned.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
"working with huge files"

You cannot ever upgrade the video card or CPU after purchase. Get the best you can afford. You can upgrade the RAM at a later date very easily on your own and for a lot less money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.