• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The legacy of disaster lives on!

In all honesty though, if you're going to travel through a national park (which I imagine is quite large and removed from 'civilization'), you bring a real map. They're tested, developed by the park officials and don't succumb to problems that plague technology out that far (like a lack of cellular signals).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reporting stuff apparently doesn't do much good either.

I've reported the location of one business, that is shown in Maps by default, at least half a dozen times beginning the day after iOS 6 was released.

I'm pretty sure it's wrong since I can sit in my office and look at it across the street rather than in the empty field directly behind our building.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've always wondered what happens to those reports that come in (for any report including crashes in OS X). Part of me thinks they just fall into a black hole somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I've always wondered what happens to those reports that come in (for any report including crashes in OS X). Part of me thinks they just fall into a black hole somewhere.

The only ones I've ever gotten a reply on we're submitted through the devlopment area.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't surprise me. Having worked in IT before, I know that quite a few issues remain unresolved if they come in through a reporting system (especially when you can't tell what they want). For example: "my computer doesn't work" would not get my help until I had more details.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
No map application is perfect. I've ended up on the wrong side of town when using Google Maps as well. Now this is a pretty serious mis-step for sure so I am not making light of it. I've learned with any map application to verify with real life when possible. It reminds me of this xkcd comic.
xkcd: Google Maps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Did people not see the road signs saying the city was this way, not the way they were going? How dumb does a person have to be to ignore the road signs?

"Oh, well, the road sign we just passed said our destination is 3 miles this way. But my iPhone says its 60 miles the opposite direction. There can't be any possible way the road sign is right, even though its for people's safety. So lets continue this way."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro13 iPad/Touch/iPhone (several), Time Capsule, Airport Express, Apple TV, iMac 21.5"
"Common sense + Maps" is better than "No Common Sense + Maps." There were 1-2 reports of folks in Europe driving their car into a lake because the GPS told them to "make a left". Didn't they see the lake in front of them?!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No map application is perfect. I've ended up on the wrong side of town when using Google Maps as well.
Absolutely. It's hard for any mapping service to keep up with ever changing landscapes.

Did people not see the road signs saying the city was this way, not the way they were going? How dumb does a person have to be to ignore the road signs?
I'm inclined to give the park patrons the benefit of the doubt here since a park isn't quite as well laid out as a system of roads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.