Downloading images from camera

Reaction score
I'm a former Windows guy just coming over to Mac and struggling with my photo workflow.

I used Picasa for managing my photos in Windows but preferred to use the built in photo downloader tool in Windows to import images from my camera. I preferred the way that Windows handled rotated images. I imported them in their correct orientation right away. I was also able to automatically import into folders named by the shooting date of the image.

On my Mac, I'm still using Picasa but can't seem to get my images from the camera to the Mac in the same way.

How can I get my images to auto rotate upon import and also be dropped into folders named by shooting date?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use Picasa on my Win machine at the office but not on my Macs.

You might try the Image Capture app for importing - see if that auto corrects the orientation - not sure.

OP
I
Reaction score
I use Picasa on my Win machine at the office but not on my Macs.

You might try the Image Capture app for importing - see if that auto corrects the orientation - not sure.

I tried Image Capture today. Unless I have something set up incorrectly, it didn't seem to do what I was hoping for with the orientation.

Any chance there's a setting somewhere to enable this?

C

chas_m

IIRC correctly, iPhoto does this. Give it a try with test import of a few images to see.

OP
I
Reaction score
IIRC correctly, iPhoto does this. Give it a try with test import of a few images to see.

Thanks chas_m, but I was hoping to do this without iPhoto. I'm not a fan of photo apps that build a proprietary database to manage my photos.

The good news is that I've found that Picasa for Mac handles this exactly the way I prefer. Either Picasa changed their approach or this is something different in Mac world. Either way I have what I need now and one less step in my import workflow!!

Thanks everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.