Utilities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Macbook Pro 2.5 ghz i5, IPad First generation, IPod 4th generation, IPod Nano
Utilities for apple products seem to be nonexistent.

Do you need antivirus, defrag or uninstall programs for a mac?

If so are they already installed or if not what are the suggested utilities to get?

Thanks Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Big question, and many answers,
1) Antivirus NO have a look here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html
2) Defrag Never
3) Uninstll programs I use App Zapper or App Cleaner

Most of what you will need is already loaded on your Mac Music, Photos, Films, but visit the App store as it depends what you want to use your Mac for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi Bill welcome to M-F

There are Utilities on your Mac via the Applications folder Utilities.

If so are they already installed or if not what are the suggested utilities to get?

Thanks Bill

No you dont need AntiVirus for a Mac as there isnt any Virus in the wild ATM. Dont need to defray, this isnt Windows and if i App on your Mac has a uninstall program use that, if not all you need to do is drag stuff to the trash. You can have something like AppTrap (Mac) - Download which when install sits quietly in your Preference Pane and does the job for you.

Have a read of this Sticky as there is a lot of good tips for the new switcher. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/208133-sage-advice-new-mac-switcher.html

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are lots of utilities for Apple, however, since there are no viruses in the wild that can infect a Mac, AV software is not needed. There are several programs that can defrag a Mac hard drive, iDefrag being one of the most popular. But it's very seldom that you would ever have to defrag unless the drive is almost full.

By the way, look in your Applications, Utilities folder on your Mac and you'll see a variety of useful utilities.

And, Welcome to the Mac Forums.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

For the most part…you don't need these things with a Macintosh computer…that's why (for the most part) they do not exist (or at least do not exist as voluminously as in the Windows world).;)

If this is your 1st Apple Macintosh computer…remember…you are no longer living in a "Windows World".;) The Macintosh OS is different…so habits/experiences from using Windows computers are not necessarily a good thing to continue with when using a Mac.:)

- Nick

OP
Bill and Meryl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Macbook Pro 2.5 ghz i5, IPad First generation, IPod 4th generation, IPod Nano
Thanks for the input everyone.

Yes your right this is our first mac. We will just kickback and enjoy the worry free ride.

Happy Holidays, Bill and Meryl

OP
Bill and Meryl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I was wrong, our first MAC was an Apple 2 GS no hard drive but had a WHOPPING 1 gig of ram and a 5 and a 1/4 inch drive. It was slow but very reliable and most of all FUN.

Anyone remember Arkinoid or Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?

Peace, Bill and Meryl

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry I was wrong, our first MAC was an Apple 2 GS...

You were correct the first time.:) An Apple IIgs is NOT a Macintosh computer…it came out BEFORE Macintosh computers.;)

Thus if I understand things correctly:

1. This is your 1st Macintosh computer (MacBook Pro).
2. This would be your 2nd "Apple" computer (1st = Apple IIgs, 2nd = MacBook Pro).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry I was wrong, our first MAC was an Apple 2 GS no hard drive but had a WHOPPING 1 gig of ram and a 5 and a 1/4 inch drive.

Another correction here... your IIGS probably had 1 MB of memory, not 1 GB. ;D Anyway, have fun with your new Mac.

OP
Bill and Meryl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Opps Your Right.

Brain Fart.

OP
Bill and Meryl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have TechTool Pro, and I use it for peace of mind. It has found one or two things that needed my attention in the 7 years I have owned my Mac Mini. I do optimize (or "defrag") my hard drive occasionally, as it does become slightly fragmented, according to TTPs diagnostics.

I have also read some rather ambivalent things about third party uninstallers. Many of them tend to leave things behind. I've read that the best way to uninstall is using an app's uninstaller, sometimes called Remove _____(app), and then to manually delete what it leaves behind. The trick is knowing where to find those things and how to identify them.

C

chas_m

Broadly speaking, MOST third-party apps can just be dragged to the trash. It's the pro-level apps and any apps that muck about with the system files (like some utilities, and programs that install their own fonts like MS Office) that have to be uninstalled using an uninstaller.

Basically, the rule of thumb is that if a program CAME with an uninstaller (again for example MS Office, which does), you should use that first. Programs like AppTrap and App Zapper (et al) are mainly for people who just like to remove the pref files, caches and application support files some apps leave behind (but really they're tiny and of no consequence 99 percent of the time).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.