Can't install XP on Mac?

Reaction score
I'm running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 and I am only given the option to install Windows 7 (via bootcamp), however I just purchased an OEM copy of Windows XP Professional and would like to install that. Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm using the latest version of OS and I am only given the option to install Windows 7, however I just purchased an OEM copy of Windows XP Professional and would like to install that. Any ideas?

If you're not thinking about using an emulation program such as Parallels or vmWare Fusion to run Windows within the Mac OS…then you need to install Windows via "Bootcamp".

If you don't know what this is…some internet searches will tell you all you need to know. Also…give these a read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...otcamp-save-yourself-possibly-hours-time.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah I tried to install XP via Bootcamp, but I am only given the option to install Windows 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The latest version of Bootcamp has Windows 7 as a minimum

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I tried to install XP via Bootcamp, but I am only given the option to install Windows 7.

You should probably tell us what Mac model you have…and what OS version you are running. This may help.

You did mention you're using "the latest version of the OS"…which is 10.8.2…is this what you're running?

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro with Intel Core i7, running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (so, not the latest version). I apologize I was so brief, I quickly scrapped this post together whilst in the middle of something.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I downgrade?

There are kind of two questions here:

1. Downgrade the version of Boot Camp.
2. Downgrade the OS version.

First of all (since you have OS 10.7.5 installed)…you probably have Boot Camp v4.0.

From this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_(software)

It appears that Boot Camp v3.3 dropped support for Windows XP. So you would have to use a version of Boot Camp older than v3.3 to install XP.

Boot Camp v3.0 shipped with Mac OS version 10.6 (Snow Leopard)…and I'm not totally sure if Boot Camp v3.0 is compatible with Mac OS 10.7 "Lion". Maybe Boot Camp 3.0 must be used with OS 10.6…and Boot Camp 4.0 must be used with OS 10.7.

So then we are left with the option (and if you wanted to)…running OS 10.6 on your MacBook Pro…just to be able to use Boot Camp 3.0 to install XP. Since you have an i7 MacBook Pro (depending on the model you have)…some of the earlier i7 MBP's can run OS 10.6. But later models cannot…so we would need to know your EXACT model i7 MBP.

Of course if you do not want to run OS 10.6 (or cannot because your i7 MBP is too new)…then you have two options:

1. Run Windows 7 on your MBP (instead of XP).
2. Purchase a copy of Parallels or vmWare Fusion…and run XP in "emulation".

Running XP in emulation won't be as fast as using the Boot Camp method…but it will allow you to run XP. And depending on why you need to run XP…running XP in emulation may be plenty fast.:)

- Nick

p.s. If your head isn't spinning after reading all that…then great!!!:) If your head is "spinning"….sorry!;)

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I'm installing it for gaming over christmas, as my friends back home all play PC games and so having a mac will make things difficult. I did look into parallels, but it wont be fast enough. Microsoft could give me a student discount on Windows 8, but most games don't work properly on that yet. Now that my options for XP are extremely limited, I'm going to have to get a copy of Windows 7. The only issue there is I'm going to have to fork up $160 for it, which is ridiculous compared to the $25 I paid for this copy of XP.

Do I have any other options?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only issue there is I'm going to have to fork up $160 for it, which is ridiculous compared to the $25 I paid for this copy of XP.

Yes…I figured that the cost of Windows 7 would be one of the issues. $25 for XP seems like a very good price…but then again…let's talk about how OLD XP is!;)…but still very useable!:)

Do I have any other options?

Yes…buy a cheap Intel/Windows laptop…and run XP on it!;) Or buy an older Intel based Macintosh laptop, install OS 10.6 on it…and then install XP.

Unfortunately…either of these option with cost at least as much (if not more)…than simply purchasing Windows 7.

- Nick

p.s. Can you tell me where you purchased XP for $25? I may be looking for a copy of XP to purchase & install (just bought a newer version of Parallels). Thanks.

OP
K
Reaction score
Sure, I can tell you where I got it, but first can I offer you my copy (since it's pretty much useless to me now)? It's Windows XP Professional OEM, and I can mail it to you if you're inside the US. This would help me with putting some cash towards Windows 7!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, I can tell you where I got it, but first can I offer you my copy (since it's pretty much useless to me now)? It's Windows XP Professional OEM, and I can mail it to you if you're inside the US. This would help me with putting some cash towards Windows 7!

This is really a topic for our B/S/T forum (Buy/Sell/Trade)…so it should be handled there. Since you're a recently joined member (today)…you don't have access to that forum yet.

I'm sure you can also understand that there is some risk purchasing from someone who is brand new to the forum & hasn't built up a pos. reputation yet (just being honest).:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
It's cool, I understand. I got it from Designertechsoftware.com

Take note that they have some bad reputations going around (smudged codes/poor customer support), but my copy arrived fine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's cool, I understand. I got it from Designertechsoftware.com

Take note that they have some bad reputations going around (smudged codes/poor customer support), but my copy arrived fine.

Thanks for the info & the reputation hint.:)

I would think that if you posted that XP install disk on your local Craig's List…that it would sell fairly quickly.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is going to buy the copy of XP. Also, I found somebody selling a sealed Windows 7 Professional for $50 on craiglist earlier, meeting up with him tonight. Thanks for all of your help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a buddy who is going to buy the copy of XP. Also, I found somebody selling a sealed Windows 7 Professional for $50 on craiglist earlier, meeting up with him tonight. Thanks for all of your help!

Holy smokes…that was fast! Sounds like you're all set…and it only cost you an extra $25 for Windows 7 (assuming you're selling XP for $25)!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.