Recommendations for a Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 15" MBP 8GB RAM 500GB SSD+500GB HDD; Mac Mini (mid 2011) 16GB 500GB SSD + 500GB HDD
Hi there,

I wanted to replace my PC with a mac, but dont need anything v powerful. Wanted a mac mini because of low power consumption- want to leave on all the time with itunes running (itunes on PC seems pretty poor), so I can back up ipad/iphone via wireless and play content back via appletv.

So I took a trip to ebay and bought a mac mini G4 an upgraded the RAM to 1GB.

However, I seem to have bought too old a model, as I cannot use sites such as BBC iplayer (important for my kids), as it wont use a recent enough version of flash. I also discover its pretty hard to back up my iphone to a new computer (especially running an older version of itunes) and it wont do wireless sync anyway....

Seems that I have bought rather hastily. I want to replace my homebuilt Windows PC (Core 2 Duo 2GHZ) with something small and low power consumption and preferably mac. I am however, totally bewildered by the range of post-G4 mac minis.

Any thoughts please (except for the obvious "why didnt you do more research")

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I personally wouldn't bother with any non-Intel Mac at this point. I would also go with a Core 2 Duo as my starting point, that should enable you to run a later OS and have access to the Mac App Store for Apps and updates.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any thoughts please (except for the obvious "why didnt you do more research")

Yes…unless you knew your Mac computers well (which I know you mentioned you didn't)…I would not have recommended purchasing a G4 Mac-Mini. I would have recommended an "Intel" Mac-Mini…with at least a core 2 duo cpu (some had a core solo & core duo).

The first core 2 duo (1.83ghz) Mac-Mini was available in 2007…so there are some older Intel Mac-Mini's out there if you're trying to save some money.

But basically…shop for a core 2 duo Mac-Mini…and you decide when the price is right. Check Mac2Sell.net for approximate used Mac values.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 15" MBP 8GB RAM 500GB SSD+500GB HDD; Mac Mini (mid 2011) 16GB 500GB SSD + 500GB HDD
Thank-you

So would a core 2 duo mac do the things I mentioned?

A limitation of a family windows PC with several accounts is that only one instance of itunes can be running, so I can't back up my iphone wirelessly unless I am logged in and itunes is running; but then my wife cant open itunes to back up her iphone.

Would there be the same limitation on a mac? I would like to leave a machine running for all our idevices to back up to wirelessly.

Thanks

Charles

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So would a core 2 duo mac do the things I mentioned?

A limitation of a family windows PC with several accounts is that only one instance of itunes can be running, so I can't back up my iphone wirelessly unless I am logged in and itunes is running; but then my wife cant open itunes to back up her iphone.

Would there be the same limitation on a mac? I would like to leave a machine running for all our idevices to back up to wirelessly.

Thanks

Charles

It sounds to me like you want server capabilities. Lion and Mtn Lion Server are cheap. I just downloaded it to set up on my 2009 vintage Mac Mini for $19 USD.
Not an expert on this, but I am looking for similar support of multiple devices and accounts.

Take a look at the OS X Server page at the Apple website or the articles in our Blog here to see if this appeals to you.
If so, post back because you will probably need some more specific advice on hardware.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds to me like you want server capabilities. Lion and Mtn Lion Server are cheap. I just downloaded it to set up on my 2009 vintage Mac Mini for $19 USD.
Not an expert on this, but I am looking for similar support of multiple devices and accounts.

Take a look at the OS X Server page at the Apple website or the articles in our Blog here to see if this appeals to you.
If so, post back because you will probably need some more specific advice on hardware.

What an insanely great price for server software…$19.99!!!:)

One question for you though. "Mac OS X Server" for $19.99 seems to be a "app." that runs alongside "regular" Mac OS X…and provides "server functionality.

Apple Launches 'OS X Server' for Mountain Lion for $19.99 - Mac Rumors

So the question is (if you know)…how is this OS X Server" app different from what we would normally/traditionally call "true" server software that would cost hundreds of dollars?

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. Yeah I know…I did a Google search & found a lot reviews for Mountain Lion Server…I was hoping to get the "Cliff Notes"!;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am in the middle of reading OS X Mtn Lion Server for Dummies (Kindle Book) and plan on setting it up today (Hopefully). But, from what I have read so far:

1) To all practical intents and purposes there is no difference except for the price (for any usage I am ever likely to have)
2) OS X Server APP that you launch is actually an APP to aid in setup of your network/server. The real work is done by a number of bundled APPs that come with the package

Will probably have more to say on it after I have it up and running and have some time to play with it.

EDIT: BTW I am blaming Louishen for his excellent articles on OS X Server for all of this. Without them I probably wouldn't have taken the plunge. ;)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice guys- so I need a core 2 duo or later and need to read about Lion/Mtn Lion server (need to check sys req).

Most helpful; and so prompt!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are very welcome. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice guys- so I need a core 2 duo or later and need to read about Lion/Mtn Lion server (need to check sys req).

I hate to make things complicated for you…but if you're thinking of installing the latest version of the Mac OS (10.8.2 Mountain Lion) on whatever Intel Mac-Mini you purchase…you need to purchase a "Early 2009" Mac-Mini or newer.

Older core 2 duo Mac-Mini's (older than "early 2009"))…don't meet the hardware requirements for OS 10.8.2. If you got an older core 2 duo Mac-Mini (older than an "Early 2009" model)…the max OS you can install is "Lion" (OS 10.7).

I wouldn't want you to purchase an "older" core 2 duo Mac-Mini…just to realize that you can't install the latest OS on it (10.8 Mountain Lion).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am in the middle of reading OS X Mtn Lion Server for Dummies (Kindle Book) and plan on setting it up today (Hopefully).

Ahh I see…"Work In Progress".:)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick- thanks for that heads up. I am currently looking at late 2009 models, as they were the last ones before the unibody and look like providing the best price point for me- it seems that HDD, processor and RAM can all be upgraded if needed, so I am just looking for the right price. They don't seem to fetch such a high price as the chassis is seen as quite hard to open up.

I'm going to do more research though before I buy (once bitten, twice shy!)

Cheers
Charles

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick- thanks for that heads up. I am currently looking at late 2009 models, as they were the last ones before the unibody and look like providing the best price point for me- it seems that HDD, processor and RAM can all be upgraded if needed, so I am just looking for the right price. They don't seem to fetch such a high price as the chassis is seen as quite hard to open up.

Sounds like a great plan. I think that you are right…getting the last model Mac-Mini before the unibody design probably is a "sweet-spot" in terms of price…and it will certainly run the latest OS 10.8.2.:)

Since you purchased that much older G4 Mac-Mini…I thought maybe your budget was limited to more of that price range…which might of made a newer 2009 model a stretch for your project. But great to hear that's not the case!:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, FWIW, the late 2009 Mini is the model I have. Running Mtn Lion and will proceed with Server setup as soon as I finish cloning my data drives.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen has been stuck on "Configuring Services, Please Wait" for an hour. Suspect I will be starting over from scratch tomorrow. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen has been stuck on "Configuring Services, Please Wait" for an hour. Suspect I will be starting over from scratch tomorrow. :p

That certainly doesn't sound good. I'll be holding my breath for the next update!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Nick- thanks for that heads up. I am currently looking at late 2009 models, as they were the last ones before the unibody and look like providing the best price point for me- it seems that HDD, processor and RAM can all be upgraded if needed

As a fellow Charles, let me stop you right there. The processor cannot be upgraded, and upgrading the HD and RAM are a PITA to do, though quite possible. Be sure to download and THOROUGHLY read directions on this before attempting it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help and advice folks. Just follow up on this thread, in the end I bought a mid 2011 Mac Mini from ebay. Its a fairly basic spec, but I plonked some extra RAM in it which I had from upgrading my MBP. I have also bought a kit to add a second drive to it and intend to buy an SSD as the primary drive and use the current drive for data (I love to tinker). The machine performs the tasks I want fairly well as is (with the extra RAM), so I'm pretty happy overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Most helpful; and so prompt!

Make sure you check out the refurbs at the Apple site!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.