MacPro sound input burned out-- any way to fix?

Reaction score
Hi guys, greetings from Seattle. My Mac Pro's sound card input seems to have burned out. I recently got a sweet USB microphone for Skype and recording voiceover for my film, and about two weeks later it stopped working. I thought it was the mic that was broken, but I tried the mic on another computer and it worked fine. Tried a couple of other mics on my Mac Pro, using the mic input and USB, and both times I got no signal. Any ideas for how to fix, other than buying an expensive new sound card? Many thanks for any thoughts. : )

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without another sound card to substitute for the one in your Pro, there's not much else you can do to check out the sound. Get on eBay and see what you can find there for a replacement sound card.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi chscag, thanks for checking in. Are you saying it might be something else that is broken? That'd be a bummer to buy a new sound card and discover that's not the problem...

And is that a B25 Mitchell?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's kind of what you need to do though. Without eliminating the sound card itself, you'll wind up using a shot gun approach. Also, it's probably likely that the card failed. I know cards for the Pro are expensive that's why I suggested maybe you can find one on eBay.

And BTW, the bird is a Douglas B-26D "Invader". :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, and I'll bet those engines make a pretty gorgeous roar. We have a B-17 in Seattle that flies overhead fairly frequently, and that rumble always stops me in my tracks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The "stock sound electronics" in all Macintosh computers are integrated into the logic board. The only way to test is to replace the logic board with a known good one…$$$$$$.

- Nick

C

chas_m

I find it pretty unlikely that BOTH your USB port AND the analog sound port on your Mac have "burned out" and think it MUCH more likely that your MIDI audio. I'm not ever sure if it is physically POSSIBLE to "burn out" a USB port, so again I'm skeptical.

Have you tried a PRAM reset? Does the USB port work correctly otherwise? Have you looked at your Sound and Audio/MIDI imput settings?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.