• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

An informal survey about iMobile hype

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Everybody "knows" that the PC market is being killed by iMobile devices and if you listen to tablet hype, then standard computers probably won't even be manufactured in a few years. In light of that disturbing prediction, I started a survey a month or so ago to check just how fast doom is coming for we laptop users. There is nothing scientific about it, just a count on the days that I frequented the internet cafes. I didn't keep up with the dates, just the counts.

One caveat is that sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between a netbook and a tablet with a keyboard, so I may have confused the two on occasion since I really didn't want to stare at an individual in trying to see their hardware. The number of the day isn't significant other than just an index. Usually it was three or four days a week in any one of 5 different cafes.

Day Equipment
1 3 Macs 3 PCs 0 Tablets
2 2 Macs 5 PCs 0 Tablets
3 1 Mac 12 PCs 0 Tablets (some kind of business meeting with lots of Pcs - and me)
4 4 Macs 8 Pcs 0 Tablets
5 7 Macs 9 PCs 2 Tablets (the place was packed!)
6 4 Macs 3 Pcs 0 Tablets
7 4 Macs 4 Pcs 1 Tablet
8 1 Mac 2 Pcs 1 Tablet
9 5 Macs 2 Pcs 0 Tablets
10 6 Macs 4 Pcs ? Tablets (A really weird machine with a fold over keyboard. Tablet? Netbook? Laptop?
11 17Macs 20+Pcs 5 Tablets (A big food court)
12 2 Macs 3 Pcs 0 Tablets
13 6 Macs 0 Pcs 0 Tablets (Pc guys sleeping off the big football game maybe?)
14 3 Macs 4 Pcs 0 Tablets
15 2 Macs 1 Pc 1 Tablet

...etc

So. It appears that anyone actually doing work on the move has a laptop. Where all these iTablets are going is something I can't figure. At any rate, it appears that there is still a market for real systems.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It appears that anyone actually doing work on the move has a laptop. Where all these iTablets are going is something I can't figure. At any rate, it appears that there is still a market for real systems.
Simple: tablets can't do real work or if they can, they aren't quite as good as a notebook/desktop. Sure, I could write a paper on a tablet but I'd hate doing it. However, tablets are a great complement. I bring it with me to meetings and use it during my teaching as a quick and easy way to have computing power on the go (since tablets are infinitely more portable than a notebook in my opinion).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Everybody "knows" that the PC market is being killed by iMobile devices and if you listen to tablet hype, then standard computers probably won't even be manufactured in a few years.

To quote rap group Public Enemy: "Don't believe the hype!" :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I think that they're mostly at home with their owners discovering the internet in comfort. One of my daughters got an iPad, my wife wants an iPad mini...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.