Part of my browser page has disappeared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi Guys,
We had a new TV installed this morning and got the guys to fix up all the wiring just like it was before. Nothing else has been changed but somehow the top line from my web browser has done a bunk. I'm using Firefox with the latest updates and the line that begins with "File" and goes through things like "Edit", "View" and finally "Help" has gone walkies.
Anybody know how I can get it back?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So, the whole menu bar is gone? It's very possible that the screen has simply been shifted. Consult your monitor/TV guide for instructions on shifting the picture up and down.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I assume this TV is connected to your Mac MIni? Has the resolution between this TV and the old TV changed? I assume that the menu bar is also not fully visible?

"done a bunk" and "gone walkies" huh..you learn new phrases from all over the world everyday here..:)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Done a bunk apparently means "to leave without permission" and gone walkies apparently means "losing something with the impression that it will return." Urban dictionary, what won't it teach us?

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again, guys.
Yes, the TV is connected to the Mac Mini. I had to resize my desktop image just a smidgin (another new word for you, lol) to make it fit exactly. As my screen stands now, the Red, Amber and Green circles are at the top, left of the browser window. On the same level as the circles I have "Part of my browser page has disappeared. - Mac-forum discussions for Apple Products and Services"
Under that is just the open tabs.
So, any ideas?
Ta very much.
Steve.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What resolution are you driving the TV at? What did you resize it to?

And smidgin I'm familiar with..:)

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I find out what the resolution is?
Cheers,
Steve.

ps ... how would the screen resolution have an effect on what is shown in a browser window? The line that I'm looking for has "File" at one end and "Help" at the other with maybe 10 other clickable words in-between. I mean, it's not as if the line is there but hidden above the top of the screen because I can move the browser window down and view my desktop but the "File", "Edit" line is still not showing.
Maybe there is a connection between the resolution and the missing line but I just can't get my head round the concept of that.
Cheers again,
Steve.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So, it's the menu bar that you can't see, not a toolbar in the browser. I would assume part of the dock is also cut off?

Menu bar - that's what the top bar that is always displayed is called.

And that "File, Edit, etc." line is not part of the browser - It won't move with the browser. Not unless you're running Windows instead of OS X.

The question goes back to, how did you resize the desktop image a smidgen?

And to find out the resolution, you go to System Preferences - Displays.

What is the native resolution of the new TV you just got?

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again.
My last question before I go to bed is ...... How do I get to .... System Preferences - Displays. ..... when the line where I would normally click the small apple icon has also gone?
I resized the browser window by clicking, holding and dragging from the bottom right corner of the screen.
The desktop is another slight problem area. On the old TV, I had a line of icons running down the right hand side. These icons are now showing only 3/4 of their full size with the right hand edge out of sight.
Cheers,
Steve

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhhh, I just figured out how dumb I am.
Dumb enough not to realise that the missing line SHOULD be showing on my Desktop screen and not the browser window. I guess that's how it is affected by the resolution.
My apologies for the Dumb*** demo.
Steve.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So, you have the dock on the right side of the screen instead of on the bottom.

Even though you can't see the menu bar at the top of the screen, it is still there and you can move your cursor above the screen and get to it.

Move the cursor above the red and yellow circles at the top of your browser window - right in between the 2 of them and click - you might need to do it a few times until you hit just the right spot to get the menu to pop up.

Then select System Preferences when it does - head for displays and look around for somehting called Overscan and uncheck it.

Another thing you can try is boot into safe mode - this will sometimes reset the display settings back to default.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Bob.
No, my dockis along the bottom edge of my screen. The icons on the right hand side that I mentioned are folders that I have created myself + some standard Mac ones like "Images", "Text Docs" and "ePub books".
I did as you suggested with the mouse cursor and after Clicking in that general area at leasr 30 times the top edge of the browser turned white from the normal grey and the red, amber and green circles also greyed out. A small drop-down box appeared called "About Firefox". I tried clicking various sections but nothing jumped out at me about thr resolution of the screen.
One thing struck me though. This drop down box was very like one that normally appeared on the missing line. The one with "File", "Edit", etc. So then I tried clicking the mouse further over to the left and higher up. So high that the tail of the cursor disappeared.
Eventually, and after many tries, another drop down box appeared called, "About this Mac". From there, I followed the advice given earlier and checked the resolution. The 1080p line was blue but when I tried other resolutions it got worse until I got down near the bottom to a line called 1360 x 768 and now everything is peachy. My icons are back where they should be and the line of text is back across the top again..
Thanks to all who tried to help.I really am grateful to you for helping to solve the problem.
Cheers,
Steve.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it. Good goin'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.