• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple will invest $100M to produce one line of Macs in the US in 2013

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
This seal's the deal for me. I'll replace my current iMAC with a new Made in the USA iMAC when they are available.

I hope this is the beginning and other manufactures follow suit. it's about time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think I'll wait until I see the quality of whatever Apple intends to produce here in the US before I purchase it. Made in the USA is not what it used to be. A good example of that is to compare Japanese or German made autos with those that were produced in the US.

Anyone here want to wager a guess where in the US will Apple set up production? I can tell you one place where it won't be - California! ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This seal's the deal for me. I'll replace my current iMAC with a new Made in the USA iMAC when they are available.
I'm interested to know why this is the case for you. Is buying a new computer worth this? I'm just curious (as someone who doesn't really care where my products are made).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Note it says 'one line of Macs'. That does not indicate Apple will reduce manufacture to one model. What if the model you want is still made in China or wherever?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

I hope this is the beginning and other manufactures follow suit. it's about time.

This could mean you downgrade to a 21" !!

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think I'll wait until I see the quality of whatever Apple intends to produce here in the US before I purchase it. Made in the USA is not what it used to be. A good example of that is to compare Japanese or German made autos with those that were produced in the US.

Anyone here want to wager a guess where in the US will Apple set up production? I can tell you one place where it won't be - California! ;)

I don't find that to be accurate. Some of the most reliable "foreign" car manufacturers have production facilities here in the U.S. Honda Accord for example, as well as some Acura's. I obviously don't mean to down play the reliability of cars coming out of Japan, but I believe you get my point. I don't doubt, for a second, that the U.S. can't build something good. It's the company that allows for those craptastic tolerances that we come to associate with those bad perceptions of some U.S. made goods...mostly our auto manufacturing.

I am for any production movement into the U.S., especially when the movement is shifted from Asian countries.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very true. However, Accord, Camry, VW, built here in the US are all still controlled by their foreign owners who have insisted on the same quality control standards of their respective countries. That's why I prefer to wait until I see the quality of the Apple product produced here in the US.

Also, I'm hoping what Tim Cook stated isn't just political eye wash for our current administration in DC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It's a good start if they actually do it. A lot can happen between "planning" and actually doing. Maybe wages in the USA are finally suppressed to the point where they think the PR upside for sales will offset the slightly higher wages here. Maybe Obama promised Cook and Gore some stimulus money for infrastructure in that meeting they had? Get a little Dream Act going here and there's plenty of cheap labor to be tapped without the bad offshoring PR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Anytime anyone brings back jobs here in the US its a plus. Id buy one of the made in the USA models as well. But my luck I would get a chinamen model. Not that China stuff is bad, we just really need more manufacturing brought back here or non of us is going to be able to afford any new macs.. Thats just reality.. Support Made in the USA if your American. If your from CN, UK, TW, etc etc.. Then I understand if you support your country as well.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I am for any production movement into the U.S., especially when the movement is shifted from Asian countries.
Why does it "especially" matter where it gets shifted from?

Anytime anyone brings back jobs here in the US its a plus. Id buy one of the made in the USA models as well. But my luck I would get a chinamen model.
In contemporary English, Chinamen is a derogatory term. Let's refrain from using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Why does it "especially" matter where it gets shifted from?

In contemporary English, Chinamen is a derogatory term. Let's refrain from using it.
My apologiesI wasnt aware of that, no pun intended to anyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If your from CN, UK, TW, etc etc.. Then I understand if you support your country as well.

Looks like ill be support the Chinese for a while then. I cant see them building any model as Made in Australia. Must admit it would look nice having that on my next Mac though. . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.