Mac desktop white screen

Reaction score
When I start up my Mac desktop it has a white screen with the apple logo in the background acts like it's loading up/turning on but it just keeps thinking indefinitely... HELP!!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What kind of Mac? What version of OS X was on it? How old is it? When did it start happening? What were you doing before this happened? Do you have the original discs that came with this Mac or is it recent enough to be running OS X Lion or Mountain Lion?

OP
J
Reaction score
Version 10.6.6…I never use it because the memory is full. I turned it on a few days before posting this feed and that is when I noticed it was doing this. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Memory is full? Think you mean the hard drive is full. That is why it is doing this ~ you need at least 15% free space for the drive to do anything at speed.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, the hard drive is full. I really don't know a whole lot about computers internally. Can someone help me get my computer back up and running? Thanks

C

chas_m

First thing: think of the hard drive as your storage. Think of "memory" as RAM. It may help to imagine the two as being like a file cabinet and a desk: the hard drive is your file cabinet (where files are stores and where they are "saved" after being worked on) and RAM as your desk (the larger the desk, the more documents and tools you can pull out of the "file cabinet" and work with).

So you say your hard drive is full? If that's so, then that's why your computer won't start up -- it needs room to operate and you've deprived it of that. Assuming the drive hasn't crashed outright, you're going to need to take the machine somewhere where someone can boot it up from an external drive, and help you remove the excess stuff that's filling up the drive to capacity. Once that's done, the machine should work normally.

I don't mean to be blunt, but if you're not going to make the effort to learn some MINIMAL maintenance and "best practices" for using your computer, you're going to have problems over and over. You wouldn't buy a car without learning to drive it, running it without maintenance until finally the oil gave out and the engine blew up, would you?

Macs are great in that they don't need a lot of attention like a PC does, but that doesn't mean they don't need ANY. And working without backups -- on ANY platform -- is like ice skating on a frozen lake on a sunny day. I would respectfully suggest you take the effort to learn a few basics about your machine -- Mac 101 is a good starting point -- and once you get the machine fixed up, buy an external drive for backup as well as a larger-capacity drive for the machine you presently have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.