Mac vs Alienware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.4 GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400 RPM, 256MB VRAM, 8X DL
Hi,

I am looking into purchasing either the alienware m14x or an imac, but am not sure which would be the better buy. I would like a computer that is compatible with pc games eg, Skyrim, Call of Duty etc, but am not sure if mac will work with these or not. I also do a lot of graphic stuff eg: technical graphics, movie editing and know that mac is best with this media stuff. But I heard alienware computers are more powerful and faster? Is this true? Also, if I were to buy autodesk 3ds max for the m14x, would it render objects faster than an imac? I would also buy a more advanced video editing software like after effects, or adobe premiere. So imovie or other mac software wouldn't be an issue. And also, does final cut pro work just for mac or does it work on pc too? They are relatively similar in price, so that doesn't matter but which is the best value for money and what are the pros and cons between the two. Any additional things I should know would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would say buy the Alienware if you are doing a lot of gaming and 3D rendering. Alienware are dedicated gaming rigs, which means they will be able to handle 3D rendering well.
FCP will only work on a Mac so if thats what you really need you have a big decision on your hands . . .

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would add, that Alienware is not the top of the line only company it was prior to being purchased by Dell. Dell has only leveraged the name in order to sell more computers without the need for those computers to contain only high end CPUs and GPUs.

And why would you be considering an all-in-one desktop vs a notebook?
You will not get a good comparison dollar wise between the two.

Your first decision is to decide whether you want to be tied to a desk or be able to move your computer around.

To know which is better for your purpose, you have to compare specifically the CPU, GPU, and screen resolution between the specific units you are considering - not between models, each of which have several different configurations to choose from. Even that m14x varies in price by $600 depending on which CPU you choose.

And that particular model of Alienware, while calling their display HD, doesn't even have an option of a display at 1080p.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I already have an android tablet so a desktop is fine, but would I be able to play pc games. Would CoD, Skyrim, Spore or Sims work on the iMac? That is the main reason I was looking into the alienware, though I'm sure there are cheaper PC's suitable for gaming. I have had a PC in the past and currently have a mac so I'm fairly familiar with the two. Is there some way of getting the mac software and combining it with alienware hardware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Is there some way of getting the mac software and combining it with alienware hardware?

This is what we call a Hackintosh and because its illegal to run OS X on anything other than Apple Hardware and because we follow US law in this forum we cant talk about it.

You also have the option to run windows Via Bootcamp and play your games that way. As long as you order something with enough RAM i can see a problem. Something else to consider.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This is what we call a Hackintosh and because its illegal to run OS X on anything other than Apple Hardware and because we follow US law in this forum we cant talk about it.

You also have the option to run windows Via Bootcamp and play your games that way. As long as you order something with enough RAM i can't see a problem. Something else to consider.

Slight fix. ^-^" I would still make my own rig if it's for gaming. Way way better than anything from Alienware and now that it is owned by Dell it's even worst. >_>"

Best option would probably be iMac with Bootcamp and Windows partition. That way you can boot into Windows when you want to play, and boot into OSX when you want to work. :D

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'll do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.