New MBP Arrived - confused about AppleID / iCloud and Printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.6GHz i7 16GB 1T; Mini (late 2012) 2.3GHz i7 16GB 1TB; iPhone 5; iPad 3; AppleTV2
my new 15" MBP (non retina) arrived and I was confused by one of the first questions I needed to answer - whether or not to use a different ID for iCloud than my AppleID

I was then asked if I wanted to set up iCloud on the computer and since I didn't know the answer to the first question I was afraid to set up iCloud

Here's the root of my confusion - I've always used my AppleID for everything Apple (Apple Store, iTunes). About a month ago I decided to start using the Notes app on my iOS devices and wanted to sync notes from those devices to the Notes online app at iCloud (which I could access from my Win desktop via browser). I was forced to create an email address @icloud.com in order for this sync to work.

So now I have this 2nd address which is associated with iCloud. So I don't know if I need to set up using my AppleID with a separate iCloud ID or just use the AppleID

Regarding AppleID - I was asked for my AppleID on both user accounts that I created on the mbp (one admin and one standard). Am I correct in assuming that I can use the same AppleI on any number of accounts on the laptop?

Also, my printer is a network printer - I believe it's wireless but for sure it's connected to my router via ethernet. It is NOT connected to any of my WIn computers by USB.

My MBP doesn't see the printer on the network. Well, it sees it - but it sees it available via my Windows desktop which is running Fingerprint. Fingerprint runs on the WIn desktop and allows me to print from my iOS devices via Airprint. So, on the MBP it shows up as something like Brother HL-5370DW @dumbo (via Bonjour). I am using that connection for now and it works. But eventually that windows computer (dumbo) will go away. Any advice on how to set up the printer correctly, connecting to it directly on the network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
For the printer I suggest hooking it up via USB and do a Software Update then disconnect and reset it up as wireless.
You can use your Apple ID (iTunes) and password or set up a new password.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.6GHz i7 16GB 1T; Mini (late 2012) 2.3GHz i7 16GB 1TB; iPhone 5; iPad 3; AppleTV2
For the printer I suggest hooking it up via USB and do a Software Update then disconnect and reset it up as wireless.
You can use your Apple ID (iTunes) and password or set up a new password.

I solved the printer problem (or, at least I understand what's going on). It turns out it is both a wireless and ethernet printer - but not both at the same time. So, if the ethernet port is enabled the wifi port is disabled and vice versa. Since it's currently connected to my router via ethernet (my Windows desktop is not wi-fi enabled) it cannot be seen by the MB or MBP over wi-fi.I can easily switch the printer between ethernet & wifi mode, in which case it works wirelessly with the MB and MBP but but then I cannot print to it from my Windows desktop. Ironically, when wi-fi is enabled on the printer, I cannot print from my iPhone or iPad (because they require printing thru Fingerprint which currently runs on the Windows desktop)

I'm still confused about the iTunes / iCloud user ID. But after thinking about it some more I'm guessing I should be using the same ID that I use to connect my iPhone and iPad to iCloud. Does this sound correct?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.