I'm SO confused with this eMac....Any help??

Reaction score
I recently bought an eMac for my 6 year old for Christmas and I've been trying to add some things to it before he gets it. It says is has OS X on it and it's version 10.5.8 (or something like that).
I am totally clueless and need to know if this is the highest OS that I can put on it? It seems that it's something called a Power PC so that has something to do with upgrades and games and such but this makes no sense to me.
I found a few gaming sites to download/buy games for it which will be just fine, just curious about the operating system. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong or if it just can't go any higher. Thanks!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It says is has OS X on it and it's version 10.5.8 (or something like that).
I am totally clueless and need to know if this is the highest OS that I can put on it?

Yes…OS 10.5.8 is the highest OS an eMac can run.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Apple used to make Macintosh computers using the PowerPC processors until about 2006 when they switched over to Intel processors.

These two architectures are entirely different and separate, so allow applications that were written for PowerPC to continue to function on Intel based Macs, Apple used Rosetta to allow for emulation and so on.

Well Snow Leopard dropped support for PowerPC based Macs, but kept Rosetta around to allow PowerPC apps to continue to run. Lion dropped Rosetta support and Mountain Lion continues that trend. So now, PowerPC is firmly planted in the past as far Macs and Apple is concerned..

This continuing lack of support is causing the market to flood with these PowerPC based Macs at very attractive prices, and there are a lot of people picking them and running into various situations with lack of software support that can't be easily worked around..

C

chas_m

Bottom line: you bought a really old computer. Forget about loading anything new on it. There are a few "old Mac software" sites around like Old Version Downloads - OldApps for Mac and there are a handful of things that will still support 10.5.8 but forget about flash, video, banking, java ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.