unknown problem: blocked popups posted to legitamite videos

Reaction score
Hello

I'm in my mid 70's, definitely not a techie and don't know where to turn. For approx 1-1/2 months when I click on a news websight where they offer a video or I get a daily email, say for instance from the popular TV program DR.OZ and a video is offered for viewing, I click on it and all I see is "blocked popups". Then I recently got an advertisement for MacKeeper. I decided to join because I have one Mac OS 10.5.7. I was able through their system clean up my Mac which according to them now is in working order BUT that same notice continues. I also got another window that came up occasionally that I need to improve my Adobe Flash.....I downloaded that and opened it. I thought that was my problem but apparently not. I hope I am making sense to someone out there who can help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1st recommendation is going to be get MacKeeper off of your machine. Use it's uninstaller.

In reference to not getting popups - will "assume" you are using Safari since you have not told us what browser you're using to view the web.

Open Safari - head to the menu bar - Safari - Preferences - Security and remove the check mark from the 'Block Pop-up Windows' box.

You may need to look around preferences for it as I am using 3 versions of OS X beyond the one you are using.

If that's not it, you could have installed some 3rd party ad blocker that might also prevent pop up windows - check in the Extensions tab - also in Safari Preferences.

OP
J
Reaction score
Blocked PopUps

Yesterday I joined the Forum and mentioned I have had a month long problem that all PopUps are Blocked. Kindly someone from the forum sent me initial instructions to go to my browser Safari >security>and take out check from box concerning popups. Next I sent to Safari extensions and saw that the box was turned off for third party use. I was also instructed to then return to the forum. HERE I AM. Would like to continue any simple instructions since I'm older and not a techie.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And... did you go check one of those sites to see if that fixed it?

(It'll help if you keep this topic all in the same place. That way if someone else pops in to assist, they know what has gone on before. To find your posts here in the forum - use the "My Posts" link in the grey bar at the top of the page.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.