New to the macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2012, Iphone4s
hello,
I just purchased my first macbook pro a few days ago. i used to be a windows person but i finally decided to make the switch to macbook pro a few days ago and i must say i love my macbook pro its a awesome machine well worth the 1,600 spend on my Mac Pro. anyways my question is do the macros get viruses? i thought that they did not get any type of viruses but the best buy worker that sold me the laptop told me that macbooks do get viruses is this true? or was he just trying to sell me the antivirus program?

thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Probably just trying to sell you an Anti-Virus program. There are no known Virii in the wild for Mac's. There is the odd Trojan, and I mean odd. Just use your head and don't download anything from places you shouldn't be. If you want programmes for your machine stick to the App Store or Apple Certified distributors and you should be OK.

If a Virus is discovered that is effecting Mac machines it will be a loud shout all over the web so don't worry about it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gandalph thanks for the reply i really appreciate it. yeah the worker told me dont be fulled by what people say about macs not getting viruses thats all bs they all geyt viruses as well. i changed my mind for a minute and i was gonna get me a dell instead but im glad i ended up getting what i have been wanting for years a macbook and till this point i dont regret it. thanks for the heads up about the download really appreciate it

C

chas_m

He may have been sincere in his belief -- a lot of people use the term "virus" to mean "any sort of malware at all."

Macs don't have viruses, and aren't likely to ever get any (because of a variety of factors). But malware IS possible and does exist, albeit it's pretty rare. However, as Gandalph says, he might have just been trying for an add-on sale of an anti-virus you don't need.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post its greatly appreciated! as a new mac user im in love with my macbook pro ever since i switched to my iphone4s i have been loving all the apple products. thank again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.