Convince me to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
So, I made the switch to Mac's in June of last year. So I'm about 18 months into my Mac journey. And it's been great. I've said it before, if Apple continues to make solid, reliable products, I'll never go back to windows.

Having said that, part of my great experience has been that when I bought my iMac, it had Snow Leopard on it, and from what I could gather, it has been one of the most rock solid OS's that Apple put out.

So needless to say, I've been extremely happy and very content to stay on Snow Leopard.

However, I'm also noticing more and more apps (new ones, or updated ones) wont' work any more on Snow Leopard and so I'm beginning to wonder about upgrading.

Thing is, I've never upgraded a Mac, and on top of that, I'm concerned that my experience will take a turn for the worse.

Therefore, I'm coming to you all! You all have been wonderful and have always guided me along honestly.

Do you feel I should upgrade to Mountain Lion? Will I be disappointed and regret it? What advantages/disadvantages do you think I'll notice right away?

Oh, and this is pretty stupid too, but I love the app "Front Row" on my iMac and I know that's no longer there anymore. Is there another way to get it to work or get it back? Alternatives?

Thanks everyone.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My advice would be to use Carbon Copy Cloner (what I use) or Super Duper to create a bootable clone on an external HD. You really ought to have one regardless. And then plunk down your $19 and upgrade to Mtn Lion.
If you don't like it or have problems it is easy (since I know you held on to your original OS disks) to reformat and reinstall the OS, then restore from the cloned HD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, I'm also noticing more and more apps (new ones, or updated ones) wont' work any more on Snow Leopard and so I'm beginning to wonder about upgrading.

There's really no reason for any of us to convince you to upgrade to Mountain Lion. One of the major reasons many folks upgrade their Mac's OS is because of incompatibility with the latest & greatest software or hardware.

If you're finding yourself not able to use newer software or hardware (and you want to)…then the decision is easy…you MUST upgrade!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice Razor. Yeah, I do have a bootable clone already made up as well as a separate Time Machine backup too.

And pigoo, I hear you. I guess I've just been a bit over concerned about the possibilities of it messing with my, as of yet, flawless Apple iMac experience. Guess I just need to get over it and go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
There's really no reason for any of us to convince you to upgrade to Mountain Lion. One of the major reasons many folks upgrade their Mac's OS is because of incompatibility with the latest & greatest software or hardware.

If you're finding yourself not able to use newer software or hardware (and you want to)…then the decision is easy…you MUST upgrade!;)

- Nick

Very well said and not to mention it runs faster for most of us.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And pigoo, I hear you. I guess I've just been a bit over concerned about the possibilities of it messing with my, as of yet, flawless Apple iMac experience. Guess I just need to get over it and go for it.

I like to look at things as logically as possible…when possible.:) It sounds like you have a definite NEED to upgrade to Mountain Lion (newer apps needing Mountain Lion as you mentioned).

If you said that you wanted to upgrade to Mountain Lion…"Just Because"…with no solid reasons…then I could see you needing a bit more convincing.;)

Like you said…you've had a solid Mac experience so far with Snow Leopard…so "Why fix it if it ain't broke!";) The only serious reasons an upgrade to Mountain Lion could be an issue…is if you had older apps. or older hardware (printers, scanners, etc.) that would NOT be compatible with Mountain Lion.

With an upgrade to Mountain Lion…you may lose a couple features…but you will gain some as well.:)

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Pros: Great integration with iCloud and all your iDevices.

Cons: Full screen mode on dual monitors renders one of your monitors useless. Major drawback for many pro users but maybe not for you.
No more Mosaic screen saver. Not a biggie but I miss it!
Too colorless. Again, this may not matter to you but the aesthetic is a bit grayer.
Calendar and Contacts have a tacky leather look to them.

These last two can be somewhat remedied with Mountain Lion Tweaks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had read some of the most recent reviews of ML on the App store and they are not good at all.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had read some of the most recent reviews of ML on the App store and they are not good at all.

Many times it's the folks that have complaints who are most likely to write reviews (negative reviews)…than folks who have positives experiences (positive reviews).

Many times I find...it's simply very difficult to logically come up with a global "like/dislike" or "good/bad" for any product or service via internet-based reviews.
m1733.gif

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
I too started with SL on my 2010 MB and have upgraded through Lion and now ML, main reason was app compatibility and linking with iOS updates for my other devices.
Apps seamlessly work through iCloud (be it pages,notes,reminders, numbers etc) makes the working day a whole lot less stressful and home time more fun. I am not one to go under the hood, just press a button and want it to work.

C

chas_m

Cons: Full screen mode on dual monitors renders one of your monitors useless. Major drawback for many pro users but maybe not for you.

I don't tend to use full screen mode a lot but yes, that's annoyance. I do suspect Apple will fix that at some point, but writing a brief note to them about it wouldn't hurt either.

Too colorless. Again, this may not matter to you but the aesthetic is a bit grayer.

I notice that a little more colour has crept into the latest iTunes. I like the gray actually EXCEPT in circumstances where its hard to tell if a button is "grayed out" or not.

Calendar and Contacts have a tacky leather look to them.

Hasn't bothered me but I hear they are on the chopping block. I really like the look of Reminders so more like that would be fine with me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.