iphoto help

Reaction score
I have read for 2 months now different methods of transferring photos from iphoto to data stick...none of the conventional methods work. If I had my way I would have NEVER included iphoto on my Mac.... lesson learned..... In the mean time I have two problems with iphoto:
One: my pictures won't transfer to my Mac formated data stick. Period.
two: this iphoto program shows my pictures then they disappear.... until I scroll then they flash and disappear again. The same thing happens when I open these folders.... they have ghosts.....Many folders are blank until I scroll over them and perhaps two or three pictures will blink....some will stay some won't....

If there is anyone in the place that can tell me how to go about getting my ghost photos to be whole again... I would very much like that.

OH, and if I am lucky... I will find any answers that get sent.... This is a very difficult place to navigate.

Thank you,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What sort of Mac are you using? What OS do you have? What version of iPhoto is this? What exactly is the flash drive/USB drive formatted to?

These forums are actually quite comprehensive and simple to navigate. Especially the search function. :)

OP
W
Reaction score
finding this spot took 20 min :?
My Mac is OS X PRO
ver. 10.6.8
iphone ver:
The flash drive stick I am thinking you are asking about is a Lexar
7.26 gig of room
formatted to: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
I hope this is what you are looking for. I do not know computer lingo or acronyms.... but I try. Thank you for helping me with this. I need to get my pro in for service and cleaning... moving these pictures is making me nuts!

C

chas_m

The way I transfer my photos onto a thumb drive is like this:

1. Open iPhoto.
2. Select the photos. Sometimes I find it's best to create an "album" if there are a lot of photos I want to put on.
3. Resize the iPhoto window so I can also see the thumb drive on the desktop.
4. Open the album, select all the photos I want to copy onto the thumb drive.
5. Using the mouse, I drag one photo (and all the selected ones come too) onto the thumb drive.

As an alternative to step 5, one can select the photos, then choose "Copy" from the Edit menu in the menubar, hide iPhoto (or move it aside), open the thumb drive and select "paste" from the Edit menu in the menubar.

You'll have to take my word for it, but iPhoto is a delightful program once you learn it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you for your input :)

I have done what you suggested about 17 times.... it doesn't work. The pictures from any form, will not drag to my stick. I have them in folders which are blank black squares above the albums that show pictures. the pictures in the black blank folders have ghost photos inside most of them but the pics won't stay, they disappear unless I scroll over them again....
I need another idea which you did give me and that was resizing to see the thumb drive..... but I have to admit I don't know what you mean unless you are saying to open the album so the pics are separated in one window in one album in which case I have done that and it won't work.... I will try the copy from the Edit.
Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
It sounds like more of a problem with your photos rather than iPhoto itself.

A couple of questions:
1. How did you import your pictures into iPhoto? Direct from a camera or from a card reader or a USB stick etc?

2. If you imported from something other than a camera, did you have the option "Copy items to iPhoto Library" in iPhoto Preferences>Advanced ticked?

3. If you double click one of your pictures, does it open up larger in the Edit window?

If the answers to Q2 an 3 are No, then you don't have your pictures in iPhoto. All you have are the Thumbnails.

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi MightyGem
I imported from my cannon EOS60D directly to Iphoto. When I click on a picture, it opens in a large frame. When I click on a folder, it opens with all the pictures. Some stay others disappear. I don't know where else they would be if these are just thumbnails.
thank you for your help. I'll go looking for pictures. If I delete iphoto, will my pictures delete also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

I mainly use Aperture now but in iPhoto I always use the export command.

1) Open iPhoto and highlight all the images you want to transfer, by tapping the mouse on one then holding down the CMD key while selecting the others.
2) Once done go to the file menu and select export, in the new window make sure that the (file export box) is selected then click select.
3) A new box opens asking for the destination.

I have just tried this as my screen shots show and saved 5 images to an old 8GB USB stick.

Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 10.09.54.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 10.10.41.png

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi Back
Thank you for this suggestion. I am good with the instructions up to the point where you say to click select, at the end of part 2. I see no select place.
When I have tried a dozen time to send them to a folder on my desk top it says unable to create export... to the folder I have on my desk top. PLUS and this question no one has answered yet... My pictures flick and disappear... I scroll back and forth the pics flash but don't stay.... Where are they if they are not there??? I see a flicker of them but ALL of them are doing this!!! I have a couple folders that have stayed with the pic there. I did your instructions on one folder and it imported them to my desk top into a new folder I can copy to my data stick. Do you know where my pictures have gone ???? lol this makes me nuts. I will be traveling across canada and I need this computer cleaned and servised before I go and I need to remove these **** photos first or I'll just have to have them deleted. What to do what to do :( And thank you for your help. I will endeavor to keep moving what I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It's hard to imagine what you're describing without seeing it. Can you take a screen shot? Use Shift-Command-3 to take a shot of your entire screen or Shift-Command-4 to drag around a part of your screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi wisky,

I am good with the instructions up to the point where you say to click select, at the end of part 2. I see no select place.
Here we go 1 - 5, hope it helps

one.png

two.png

three.png

four.png

OP
W
Reaction score
screen shot

It's hard to imagine what you're describing without seeing it. Can you take a screen shot? Use Shift-Command-3 to take a shot of your entire screen or Shift-Command-4 to drag around a part of your screen.

Wow.... never knew how to do this... thank you.... but I can't get it to upload so I guess I am lost past taking the shot :(

OP
W
Reaction score
download whoas

Hi wisky,

Here we go 1 - 5, hope it helps

OK. Wow.... such great illustrations... I truly appreciate the help from you members. I can't however, get it to work :( I tried a screen shot now that I know how to do that but I can't get it to upload into here like you did :(
It still says unable to send to destination (sigh)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Not sure what is going wrong, but have a look at these with instructions.

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 19.19.09.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 19.20.37.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 19.32.11.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.