One to One not accessible from Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Someone at Apple really needs to correct the interface coding so that customers do not have to already own (or have access to) a Mac in order to use the web to activate and sign up for One to One.

The day after purchasing our first Mac (an Air) we got your email saying "Time to activate your One to One membership." A couple days later, when the CPU had just shipped and we knew the expected arrival date, we decided to try to activate the One to One so we could begin to learn how to use our machine most effectively from the start. The text of Apple's email assured us that "You're one step away from getting started with One to One" and "Thank you for joining One to One. Please activate your membership online".
However, when I clicked the blue "Activate now" button from both Firefox and Safari on Windows XP Pro SP3, I was directed to a page with the URL
https://onetoone.apple.com/services/membership/activationLanding?activationCode=_##############_
which contained a One to One text box requesting that I must "Please use a Mac or iPad to access your One to One webpage."

You have GOT to be kidding! This is our first Mac. After all the Sales Pitches about how easy-to-use, thoughtfully designed, and compatible a Mac is, our first introduction as Owners is the experience of the implicit position that "We are a proprietary and incompatible platform, and this will NOT be easy."
So rather than just signing up online, we already had a technical support issue for a machine not yet in our hands. Customer telephone support personnel looked into the matter and let us know that they could not help us, and suggested we call a local retail store. They kindly provided us with the number for that store and suggested the we ask for a "genius" or a "store manager". When we called the store the helpful robo-support expediter informed us that a genius is only accessible online, so "please visit us at www.blahblahblah". We asked for the store manager. After waiting a few minutes, another helpful person got on and listened to our issue. However, they could not help us over the phone and suggested that we go to www.blahblahblah, sign up for a "genius" appointment, then drive to the retail store at the mall to activate the One to One we have paid $100 for in order to learn how to use our "easy-to-use, thoughtfully designed, and compatible Mac" that we hope to receive next week.
Brilliant.

As a first time Mac customer, I'm beginning to feel like I just made a $2000 mistake.
I'm not sure how many of your other previous first-time Mac customers who purchase One to One have felt as I do trying to activate One to One,
but it will be up to you to decide how many future first-time customers will.

BTW, our "genius" got us activated for One to One, and signed up for a personal appt, and showed us "our personal One-to-One website" at https://onetoone.apple.com/ on his Mac Air.
There, we can get manuals, do some preliminary research, etc.
So, since I’m already signed up I tried to log into "our website" this morning from my XP Machine:
"Please use a Mac or iPad to access your One to One webpage."
Brilliant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Someone at Apple really needs to correct the interface coding so that customers do not have to already own (or have access to) a Mac in order to use the web to activate and sign up for One to One.

The day after purchasing our first Mac (an Air) we got your email saying "Time to activate your One to One membership." A couple days later, when the CPU had just shipped and we knew the expected arrival date, we decided to try to activate the One to One so we could begin to learn how to use our machine most effectively from the start. The text of Apple's email assured us that "You're one step away from getting started with One to One" and "Thank you for joining One to One. Please activate your membership online".
However, when I clicked the blue "Activate now" button from both Firefox and Safari on Windows XP Pro SP3, I was directed to a page with the URL
https://onetoone.apple.com/services/membership/activationLanding?activationCode=_##############_
which contained a One to One text box requesting that I must "Please use a Mac or iPad to access your One to One webpage."

You have GOT to be kidding! This is our first Mac. After all the Sales Pitches about how easy-to-use, thoughtfully designed, and compatible a Mac is, our first introduction as Owners is the experience of the implicit position that "We are a proprietary and incompatible platform, and this will NOT be easy."
So rather than just signing up online, we already had a technical support issue for a machine not yet in our hands. Customer telephone support personnel looked into the matter and let us know that they could not help us, and suggested we call a local retail store. They kindly provided us with the number for that store and suggested the we ask for a "genius" or a "store manager". When we called the store the helpful robo-support expediter informed us that a genius is only accessible online, so "please visit us at www.blahblahblah". We asked for the store manager. After waiting a few minutes, another helpful person got on and listened to our issue. However, they could not help us over the phone and suggested that we go to www.blahblahblah, sign up for a "genius" appointment, then drive to the retail store at the mall to activate the One to One we have paid $100 for in order to learn how to use our "easy-to-use, thoughtfully designed, and compatible Mac" that we hope to receive next week.
Brilliant.

As a first time Mac customer, I'm beginning to feel like I just made a $2000 mistake.
I'm not sure how many of your other previous first-time Mac customers who purchase One to One have felt as I do trying to activate One to One,
but it will be up to you to decide how many future first-time customers will.

BTW, our "genius" got us activated for One to One, and signed up for a personal appt, and showed us "our personal One-to-One website" at https://onetoone.apple.com/ on his Mac Air.
There, we can get manuals, do some preliminary research, etc.
So, since I’m already signed up I tried to log into "our website" this morning from my XP Machine:
Brilliant.

This would be no different from trying to access a Windows/Linux only program from another computer that is neither.

OP
M
Reaction score
Non-sense

This would be no different from trying to access a Windows/Linux only program from another computer that is neither.

I'm (attempting) access to a web-based service to activate a subscription I have paid for to make appointments for education and training in their store.
What software or platform I have is not relevant.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In case you don't know, mac-forums is not affiliated with Apple in any way.

Everyone here are volunteers and the forum is made up entirely of end users the same as yourself.

OP
M
Reaction score
In case you don't know, mac-forums is not affiliated with Apple in any way.

Everyone here are volunteers and the forum is made up entirely of end users the same as yourself.

I am well aware of that, thank you.

I post this here because those considering switching to Mac may find the information useful as part of what they evaluate in deciding to make the transition or not.
Also, Apple does monitor these kinds of sites and may improve their service and their business processes as a result.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Brilliant.

Maybe we're all confused here, but how are you going to learn how to use your new Mac with the One to One program by logging on to the site with a Win machine? Also, if you're that dissatisfied with Apple you have 14 days to return your new Mac for a full refund.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I am well aware of that, thank you.

I post this here because those considering switching to Mac may find the information useful as part of what they evaluate in deciding to make the transition or not.
Also, Apple does monitor these kinds of sites and may improve their service and their business processes as a result.

If people are going to base their decision on whether or not they can access one site or not, that's a pretty sad..

Most people have no problem actually getting the Mac, setting it up and playing around with it and then deciding to do a One To One session or just ask questions here..

OP
M
Reaction score
Maybe we're all confused here, but how are you going to learn how to use your new Mac with the One to One program by logging on to the site with a Win machine? Also, if you're that dissatisfied with Apple you have 14 days to return your new Mac for a full refund.

This isn't complicated. I don't understand why you guys are pretending to be so obtuse.

I paid for a service.
I was told that the service was now available, and
I was not told that I had to use proprietary technology to access the service.
The service included (among other things):
1. the ability to "activate" the service online so that we can access other services promised in the sales pitch.
2. online scheduling for in-store personal, group, and open sessions.
3. Online training materials, manuals, etc.

We want access to #'s 1 & 2 now while the PC is en route so we can assure a spot in the schedule that works with our schedule, and so we can use the machine properly from the start.
There is absolutely no reason why Apple should need us to have a Mac in order to merely activate the account, schedule a session for next week, and access manuals and other documentation so we can start looking now at what we've paid for. It's a different technology that we're not familiar with, and we want to get it right.
We were told that this would be a quick, online process. Instead, it took two support phone calls, scheduling a "genius" appointment online, and driving to the mall among the Christmas shoppers to activate the account and schedule the first session. Heck, even the "genius" at the Mac store couldn't believe that the process was designed so poorly, though once he verified it he indicated he would file a note to suggest correcting it, and suggested that we do the same (which we did at Apple.com).

It bothers me that you folks don't see the problem here. It suggests that this kind of crap from Apple is so routine that you don't even think it's an issue.

OP
M
Reaction score
If people are going to base their decision on whether or not they can access one site or not, that's a pretty sad..

Most people have no problem actually getting the Mac, setting it up and playing around with it and then deciding to do a One To One session or just ask questions here..

What's "sad" is your willful distortion of what I said. Accessing "one site or not" is not dispositive of any decision, and I did not say it was. One incorporates a variety of factors in a purchase decision kiddo, including anticipated quality of service and the inconveniences that may come from using proprietary technology, etc.

I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping someone might have a workaround that didn't involve getting in my car and driving to the Mac store to use their Air.
Maybe (after paying $2000) dealing with a bunch of roadblocks that you were told would not be there when dealing with a new company and new technology is something you don't mind. For me it instills distrust and a lack of confidence.
Or, perhaps any criticism of your beloved company is frowned upon in these sacred halls.

In any case, I'm done wasting my time trying to express what is easily understood to folks who wish not to correctly comprehend it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In any case, I'm done wasting my time trying to express what is easily understood to folks who wish not to correctly comprehend it.

And we're certainly not going to waste our time on someone who can't seem to understand that he needs a Mac to learn how to use a Mac. Why did you buy one anyway? Like I mentioned before, return it within 14 days and then you can use your Windows machine to do whatever. In any event, we're through here. This thread is rapidly devolving. Now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.