Best way to learn iPhoto?

Reaction score
I have recently, over the past year, pretty much switched over from PC to Mac. I still keep a PC around...just in case. Swapped my Dell for an iMac last year, and now switching from Vaio to MacBook - as of yesterday!

Some of the biggest reasons for my switch are: 1) icloud - I love how data and info transfers around to all my devices; 2) dependability & fast on/off; 3) practical immunity to virus issues; 4) speed & image quality. So...I'm really interested in iPhoto, in particular. The guy at the Apple store tells me that iPhoto can do all of the basic editing that Photoshop can do. Is that true? I've been kind of avoiding iPhoto on my iMac because it seems like how it sorts photos is a bit awkward. So I always save photos in my Pictures file instead. Is that dumb?

Do expert users feel it is better to go to the impromptu sessions at the Apple store, or purchase a One to One, or just buy a book on the how-to of iPhoto?

Thanks! :*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
One to One is a nice option for new owners and I like iPhoto for what I do and you could simply experiment at the Apple Store on one that has it loaded.

C

chas_m

Plenty of tutorials on iPhoto on Apple's website. For now what you're doing is dumb, but you'll understand it and it will make perfect sense in no time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Also, work through iPhoto Help. Most of what you can do is in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Your one to one will be good experience and a chance to play around with iPhoto, I soon moved to Aperture as it does more,;D but loved the way iPhoto categorises photos, faces, places and more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
The workshops at the Apple store are very informative but very general. One to One will give you much more information.
There is nothing wrong with saving your photos to your picture file on your computer. I save them by year and month. Then you can import photos to iPhoto to edit and organize.
Also, the more you use iPhoto, the more you will learn how to use it. Its a fairly easy program to use but nothing like Photoshop. But for very basic editing its a great program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.