bigger screen/older mac vs. smaller screen/brand new

Reaction score
So I'm prepared to make the purchase for my first macbook pro. I'm stuck between a brand new 13 inch 2.5 macbook pro and a 15 inch macbook pro from 2010.

Apple MacBook Pro MC371LL/A 15.4" Laptop Computer Pre-Owned MC371LL/A - Micro Center
(heres a link for the 2010 macbook pro)

I've heard that macbooks can last forever so buying used one isn't bad. i myself don't mind buying it used because if it looks damaged then I'll just return it.

my main problem is that i don't know if the older one is worth getting just for the screen size or if i should get the brand new one. i don't do anything too major. just a little bit a video editing and that's about it.

so any and all opinions/ideas are appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've heard that macbooks can last forever so buying used one isn't bad.

Don't believe everything you hear. While Mac machines are built well and for the most part will outlast Win boxes, they will not "last forever".

Go for the new 13" MBP. Even though the 2010 MBP has a dedicated GPU plus an Intel integrated GPU, both are slower when compared to the Intel HD 4000 GPU in the new 13" MBP. Considering you're paying $1000 for a 2010 15" machine and you can buy a brand new 13" MBP for just a little more ($1200) it should be an easy choice to make. :)

Also consider: A 2010 machine even with an extended Apple Care warranty has maybe at the most a year left on its warranty (if the original owner even bought Apple Care.) A new 2012 MBP with Apple Care has 3 years left on its warranty. (Extended Apple Care is an extra cost.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.