Akamai Folder...What is it?

Reaction score
I am currently cleaning my disk from unnecessary files and I have this Akamai folder in my applications folder and I do not know what it is for. Also, it has .exec files which I know only works for windows. Is it fine if I would delete the entire folder?

It looks like this:
8224844223_5c48305230_h.jpg

Thanks for your wits!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If I remember correctly, Akamai is a digital download manager used by Adobe. Have you installed any Adobe products?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
More info here including uninstall instructions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The link works fine here. Takes me right to the Akamai Adobe download manager FAQ page.

Reaction score
The link works fine here. Takes me right to the Akamai Adobe download manager FAQ page.

Works for me too..

"What is the Akamai Download Manager and how does it work?
The Akamai Download Manager provides for effective, efficient file downloads, especially for large files. It also lets you pause and resume downloads, and it automatically starts to install your product when the download is complete..

On Mac OS, Akamai downloads a single .DMG file.

What products use the Akamai Download Manager?
Most products purchased on the Adobe.com Store as well as some trial products use Akamai Download Manager, also called the Akamai NetSession Interface. However, the download process works slightly differently depending on whether you're downloading from the Adobe.com Store or downloading a trial version of a product.

Trial products that use Akamai include Acrobat X Pro, Adobe Captivate, and the Technical Communications Suite."

Reaction score
Remove it, it's safe :) remove more about akamai netsession interface

I am currently cleaning my disk from unnecessary files and I have this Akamai folder in my applications folder and I do not know what it is for. Also, it has .exec files which I know only works for windows. Is it fine if I would delete the entire folder?

It looks like this:
8224844223_5c48305230_h.jpg

Thanks for your wits!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.