• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP Please - want to copy family videos...

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this?

I am copying old family VHS tapes to DVD for Christmas gifts to my children. The Sony dubbing deck I use allows me to make these copies fairly easily. Now that I have made a few DVD's, I tried to play one on the computer (played on the iMac okay), but the problem I have is to "save" the DVD to hard drive, edit them, then make 3 copies for my children.

I am totally confused how to "save" a DVD. It seems the iMac OS (current OS system) will not allow me to do it. I have searched these forums and read about software that would allow me to do this, but admittedly I am very confused.

So my question is - do I need to purchase a specific software? and if so, which software would be best for this application?

Thank you in advance. You all are my "smart people" network ;)

Dave in Virginia

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you Ramimac 1.

That is a lot of information to digest, but I'll give it a try. I appreciate your response.

Dave in Virginia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Ramimac's link will enable you to make a copy of your dvds so that you can make further dvds. If you want to edit the footage that is on your dvds then use Handbrake. This will produce a video file which you can then edit in iMovie.
HandBrake

Just remember, the resolution on VHS video is pretty poor, so your finished project is not going to be any better.

OP
D
Reaction score
HELP-Video burned to DVD will not play on other DVD player

I am in the process of recording old family video VHS tapes to DVDs for our children's Christmas presents. We have 20 DVDs recorded.

As someone suggested, I downloaded "Handbrake" to successfully upload one of the newly recorded DVDs to my iMac. I then put an empty DVD-R into slot, then clicked on the movie in the hard drive "burn to disc". It burned a successful copy. I can play this copy in my computer DVD drive.

THE PROBLEM - the newly recorded DVD will not play on the DVD player we have connected to our television. However, it will play while in the computer.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I would sincerely appreciate your guidance.

Thank you.

OP
D
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I used the link provided by Ramimac 1. It scanned on the final step and everything looked good, but at the end of the scan a window appeared "Unable to create "Family Christmas 1987.cdr" (Input/Output error)

I tried 3 times with the same results.

I then downloaded "Handbrake" as someone also suggested. Handbrake enabled me to successfully download the DVD. It plays from the hard drive. Now, the problem I have is to burn the video to a DVD that will play on the other DVD player we have connected to our television. I can burn a DVD by right clicking on the downloaded video in hard drive, then clicking "burn to disc" - it will burn to the blank DVD which is actually playable in the computers hard drive, using Quicktime. But that DVD will not play on the the DVD player we have connected to our television.

The family video I downloaded using Handbrake is stored on my hard drive as a .m4v. When I play in my DVD player connected to the television, I get the following image:

This technology is impressive and continues to amaze this old Grandfather. I just wish I could figure things out a little better :)

Thanks for your help.

IMG_2334.JPG

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - No need to create a new thread about a continuing issue..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I then put an empty DVD-R into slot, then clicked on the movie in the hard drive "burn to disc". It burned a successful copy.
I can burn a DVD by right clicking on the downloaded video in hard drive, then clicking "burn to disc" - it will burn to the blank DVD which is actually playable in the computers hard drive, using Quicktime. But that DVD will not play on the the DVD player we have connected to our television.

That's because all you have done is burn a copy of the video file to a dvd, and made a "data" DVD. What you need is a "Video" DVD to able to play it in a DVD Player.
As your Mac doesn't have iDVD, download a copy of Burn from here. It's free.
Burn - Home
Run Burn and you'll get a window like this:

Screenshot2012-12-01at234538.png

Drag and drop your video file into it, select Video and DVD-Video and hen click Burn and that should work.

However, not all DVD Players will play all DVDs made on a computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.