older apple desktop

Reaction score
I keep having icons pop up on my screen. I read info from a site and the next thing I know there is an icon on my screen. What can I do to stop this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We'll need to know a bit more about what these icons look like and exactly when they occur to figure this out.

OP
V
Reaction score
each icon represents a site I entered, such as A Cosmopolis [the movie] interview Many of the icons represent various u-tube videos. There are also some of my personal files represented. I just don't know what I'm doing to cause this. I close files and like magic, there's an new icon. There is a picture of the file and a brief description under it. The description of the Cosmopolis icon is
"New post...interview Dravid Cro..... detailed"

Another is "7 ways to reduce food wa.....nd more"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it you are using Safari as your post provides no information? If so go into Safari Preferences > Security and choose block popup windows. You could always download and install AdBlock.

http://safariadblock.com

M

MacInWin

How are you closing the files? The red X does NOT close files, just minimizes them, usually to the dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.