In the market for a camera ... but ...

C

chas_m

So I'm in the market for a camera. I've been using a Canon S3 IS (one of the original "superzooms") for a long time and I've been very happy with what it has allowed me to capture. That said, it doesn't do RAW (without a hack) and its sensor is just, well, let's say I've outgrown it.

Here's my problem, however: I'm not that interested in moving on to a DSLR and a bag full of lenses for various situations (and a smoking hole in my bank account). I think (as in, this is an opinion based on some research) that a mirrorless or big-sensor camera (perhaps DSLR, not ruling it out, but not so bloody expensive) would do the job I want to do.

I take all kinds of photos, not just portraits or animal or flora et al. I *need* a long zoom lens. I *need* aperture control for "bokeh" effects. I'm definitely ready for RAW. A hotshoe would be nice (low light shooting would be more important to me), but I *need* an articulated viewscreen as I *often* shoot for journalistic purposes and have to position the camera where I can get the shot, not where my eye is.

I'm more comfortable with Canon than Nikon, but enjoyed using a Panasonic Lumix recently (though it didn't have the articulated viewscreen) and notice that they license Leica a lot.

In short, I think ... what's the best current superzoom or mirrorless with a great zoom lens around with the best sensor and bang for the buck, in the opinion of those here?

Oh, and YES, I read the sites like DPreview etc. ... but there's just SO MUCH to wade through ... looking for real-world experience or informed guesses. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Chas, I am a Camera enthusiast, but do not currently own a super zoom. I do a lot of reading on the various products our there, and read Dpreview regularly.
The Super Zoom that gets top reviews, and is perhaps one of the best in its field is the Panasonic FZ200.
It is a 25mm-600mm (26X Optical Zoom), but the best part is that it has f2.8 apreture right across its whole range.
Here is the link: Panasonic DMC-FZ200K - LUMIX FZ200 12.1 Megapixel Digital Camera - Overview

There are plenty of photos from this camera on Dpreview under the Panasonic Forums, and the results are simply amazing.

If you do a little looking for reviews on this specific camera, you will find it really is rated one of the best in its class.

Good Luck and I would be interested in what you finally choose.
DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I also am a big Canon fan and have been using a Canon of some sort since the s100 (1MP camera back in 2000)

I also wanted high zoom point and shoot. I ended up with a Lumix DMC ZS-20 (US Name) - and although it doesn't have the features you are looking for - I am so far pleased with the Panasonic. I went looking fora Leica lens that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg - so decided on the Panasonic. The upside is the zoom is everything I was looking for. The downside is that I don't have the Leica sensor or Raw available. I got it because I wanted a point and shoot with me at all times with decent enough zoom. I found I wasn't carrying my DSLR because it was just too big.

Anyway - I am quite happy with the performance vs size - but since you need more features like raw and articulated screen - then I would look up a level as suggested by the previous poster. So I guess my point is - I really like the Panasonic with the Leica licensed lens and would recommend them - but if you have money to burn I would dish out for a full up Leica or one of the higher end Panasonics as they give you more control and access to Raw.

Some photos from the DMC-ZS20 (not sure if imgur did any processing but just to give an idea)
Here is an example of the zoom
OtmmZh.jpg

Where I was actually standing
wqx2ch.jpg

Low light - flash capture of a spinning fan
2i9FDh.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
So I'm in the market for a camera. I've been using a Canon S3 IS (one of the original "superzooms") for a long time and I've been very happy with what it has allowed me to capture. That said, it doesn't do RAW (without a hack) and its sensor is just, well, let's say I've outgrown it.

Here's my problem, however: I'm not that interested in moving on to a DSLR and a bag full of lenses for various situations (and a smoking hole in my bank account). I think (as in, this is an opinion based on some research) that a mirrorless or big-sensor camera (perhaps DSLR, not ruling it out, but not so bloody expensive) would do the job I want to do.

I take all kinds of photos, not just portraits or animal or flora et al. I *need* a long zoom lens. I *need* aperture control for "bokeh" effects. I'm definitely ready for RAW. A hotshoe would be nice (low light shooting would be more important to me), but I *need* an articulated viewscreen as I *often* shoot for journalistic purposes and have to position the camera where I can get the shot, not where my eye is.

I'm more comfortable with Canon than Nikon, but enjoyed using a Panasonic Lumix recently (though it didn't have the articulated viewscreen) and notice that they license Leica a lot.

In short, I think ... what's the best current superzoom or mirrorless with a great zoom lens around with the best sensor and bang for the buck, in the opinion of those here?

Oh, and YES, I read the sites like DPreview etc. ... but there's just SO MUCH to wade through ... looking for real-world experience or informed guesses. :)

You don't give a budget, but I assume from your "hole in the bank account" comment that you are wanting to minimize your expense. Unfortunately, there is considerable truth in "you get what you pay for".

Also, don't know how much portability figures into your equation. A good mirrorless package can be far more compact than the equivalent DSLR (I said, can be, because it comes down to your choices).

1) I love the Panasonic Lumix Superzooms (my current version is the FZ28 but I have been eyeing the FZ200). They are outstanding cameras, but in no way can they compete with a DSLR or Mirrorless camera for IQ, especially under creative conditions.

2) On choosing a mirrorless camera, my advice is to pay less attention to IQ and specs (all of them are at least decent) and pay more attention to handling (grip and control placement especially) and the availability of lenses and accessories you plan on using.

3) Having said, that, if articulating screen was a major importance, I would go Panasonic G series rather that Sony as I find the fully articulated screen better than the hinged variety. Otherwise, I would choose a Sony.

4) Finally, I am not all that up on Canon's DSLR offerings, but I can tell you that a Nikon D5100 paired with an 18-200 zoom and a few primes makes a reasonably compact package that will give outstanding performance and a lot of flexibility. I have a growing assortment of lenses, but the 18-200 stays on my camera. There are better individual lenses for each part of the range it covers, but as a walk-around lense it is pretty decent.

Hope any of this is helpful

EDIT: If you shop B&H Photo's used and refurb section (some good values there) you can put together a D5100 and Nikon 18-200 package for around $1000 USD, or about double what the Pana Lumix FZ200 costs.

OP
C

chas_m

All of this is really super helpful, and I'm most grateful!

I think the best path for me is to look into the FZ200 for now, but Razormac's point about refurb'd Nikon (or Canon) DSLRs gives me some good starting points for the NEXT next camera! There's no rule that says I have to have only one ... :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I could sell ya my XSi, bag, misc extras and couple of lenses incl'g a 70-200mm and I'll get the Panny. :)

But 45 button presses just to format the card in that panny - omg!!!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
All of this is really super helpful, and I'm most grateful!

I think the best path for me is to look into the FZ200 for now, but Razormac's point about refurb'd Nikon (or Canon) DSLRs gives me some good starting points for the NEXT next camera! There's no rule that says I have to have only one ... :)

I would LOVE to have the FZ200, but my FZ28 is still alive and well, and as supportive as my wife is, she has this argument that goes like this, "You already have something like that . . ."
My reply about the advantages of gaining an articulated screen and more reach (plus the constant Aperture) don't tend to have a lot of traction. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I second David HH's recommendation. For your stated needs the 25-600/2.8 zoom lens should be excellent. Just keep in mind that the small sensor in that camera will limit you to ISO 800 or lower if you want to retain details and not see excessive noise. All cameras are compromises, but that Panny looks like an excellent compromise.

And yeah, a DSLR would make an excellent addition to your kit for your next camera. Just keep in mind that excellent DSLR lenses are expensive. My cheapest lens (50/1.4) cost $350, and you'll never pry my 135/2.0L ($1,100) out of my kit. When you move to a DSLR you will want excellent lenses to take advantage of the better sensors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.