Macbook Air - Is it hard to make it switch off from heat?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking at the Macbook Air for a portable computer to take between University and Home. Is it hard to make it overheat, or is the cooling good enough to play things like CS:GO and Minecraft for a couple of hours at a time? I only play games casually now.

How long do they usually last? Will the battery get over 5 hours per charge after a year of it being used 8 - 10 hours per day? Is there anywhere to buy replacement batteries or am I forced to pay the £99 for a battery that Apple charges?

C

chas_m

I don't understand why people think Apple doesn't know how to engineer their own products for normal (or even above-normal) use.

As with any other machine, a lot will depend on whether you smother it in a cushion or otherwise block the machine from venting properly. If you use it properly it will work properly.

Nobody can tell you how the battery will perform after a year, because it's very dependent (again) on how you treat it. If you follow Apple's guidance on how to keep your battery running well, then you should expect strong performance a year from now. If you don't, you shouldn't.

To the best of my knowledge, the battery in the MacBook Air is not user-replaceable. A new battery, even if you could replace it, is likely to cost the same or more than the price you quoted.

Under NORMAL use and with proper maintenance, the battery in the MBA should last about five years.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Wouldn't suggest an MBA if you are wanting to play CS.

The stock CPU does not meet minimum specs but can be upgraded to minimum requirement.
Don't have a clue if the Intel video card can play it at all.

Heat, however, is not an issue with the MBA models.
They run considerably cooler than MBPs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.